Stax are fast as ****.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 148
clarity. detail. speed.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #18 of 148
Oh yea i get it.

u want me to try them .

Even if u dont by mentioned 'Fast' ..i gotta listen them
because i havent really experienced what SE5000 call 'Fast'

Okay thanks a lot... remaining technical stuff i ll read around.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #19 of 148
I don't care if you try 'em.

I keep hearing about pineapple. everyone says it's great but nobody says what it tastes like. Can you explain it to me?

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #20 of 148
Look, every 'stat design has different characteristics. There are some that lack bass, there are some that lack treble. Like dynamics, but on a smaller scale, there is variety available (if you include the vintage market) to cover a lot of varied preferences.

If you love deep bass, don't get an SR-X III.

If you need crisp high treble, don't get an SR-001.

If you can't stand treble that goes well into the range that only bats and dogs can hear, don't get a Lambda Pro.

You want to know what characteristics they all share? They are speed, detail, and clarity.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #21 of 148
I ll try to listen to Lambda pro ... i am not much into Highs.

Upper mids & Trancy Bass is my range.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #22 of 148
Eric,

Pineapple tastes like exactly what it sounds like. Think of a thick, woody pine tree flavor mixed with a tart apple.

Much like Stax headphones, it is terrible and I suggest you not bother with it further.

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #23 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That pretty much describes my SR-Gamma driven with an SRD-7 out of an NAD 3155.

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #24 of 148
Quote:

i think you misunderstood ericj. he said not to go with lambda pro's if you don't like trebles like that.

man, i want to try lambda pro/lambda's now.
frown.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #25 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think you misunderstood ericj. he said not to go with lambda pro's if you don't like trebles like that.

man, i want to try lambda pro/lambda's now.
frown.gif

Yeah, actually, the "Baby Stax" SR-001 Mk2 kit might be perfect for someone who likes trance.

Might. I haven't actually heard 'em.

I do like my normal-bias lambda, though. Which were $270 including SRD-7 transformer box and extension cord. I waited two months for that deal to show up, fwiw.

Oh, and to add another point of importance wrt electrostats - if you looooove bass, and you need it to have a lot of "slam", all but the best electrostatic rigs may disappoint you.

Sep 26, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #26 of 148
I really like the punchy bass from my lambda normals. It's not "slam" exactly, but it's accurate, and better than my K701s.

I didn't wait two months for a good deal on mine like Eric did, though. I posted a a WTB and bought the first pair that came along. I paid $350, which is no bargain but not unreasonable. With the amp and extension cable (which, curiously, I bought from Eric...) it came out to $400.

Best sounding 400 dollars ever.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 148
I have both the SR-Gamma, and SR-202. I honestly enjoy the Gammas more. They both are insanley detailed, and they both beat the crap out of almost every dynmaic headphone that I have ever listened to. But I find that the Gammas are just more fun to listen to.

What is even funnier is that I paid $150 for the Gammas and a SRD-6/sb adaptor, and I paid close to $500 for the 202 and the SRM-252 amplifier. But then I bought the 202 new via pricejapan, and I bought the Gammas via ebay.

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #28 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by hekoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the SR-Gamma, and SR-202. I honestly enjoy the Gammas more. They both are insanley detailed, and they both beat the crap out of almost every dynmaic headphone that I have ever listened to. But I find that the Gammas are just more fun to listen to.

What is even funnier is that I paid $150 for the Gammas and a SRD-6/sb adaptor, and I paid close to $500 for the 202 and the SRM-252 amplifier. But then I bought the 202 new via pricejapan, and I bought the Gammas via ebay.

Everything I've read about the new Lambda frame ear speakers make me leery of buying them. The only new Stax I'd be willing to buy is the in ears. I assume I'd eventually figure out how they're supposed to go in your ears. One time at a meet was not enough.

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #29 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by hekoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The SR-X Mk. III - which has the same driver afaik - takes that detail to the 'ludicrous' level. But you lose the low bass in the bargain. Everything below about 70hz, just, *poof*. And it aint comin back.

Unless you buy a Gamma Pro and swap the drivers (and cables) so that you have a nice fun SR-Gamma and a lean mean SR-X Pro. But then you need a pro-bias amp or energizer.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #30 of 148
Quote:

Whats so special about Electrostats? ..what am i missing in Dynamics

Let me see...
* Speed (low weight moving mass)
* Clarity
* Details

Seriously. I thing you are better of auditioning a pair of your own, to better know what we talk about.
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back