Noob Soundcard Advice
Dec 8, 2009 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cheeba

New Head-Fier
I'm not a noob to audio (I have a decent system LM3875-based amp that I built for my main system), but I know next-to-nothing about headphone and computer audio. I'm going going to be buying my first decent cans right away here (HD595 or AH-D2000) and would like to get a decent soundcard for my computer. From the forums, I have gathered that X-Fi is the way to go for a budget card; so, I was thinking of one of the following:

NCIX.com - Buy Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI Retail Box Bilingual - 70SB073A00003 In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1 Sound Card PCI-E Dolby Digital Live Headphone AMP - AZTXFF7102550 In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy AuzenTech X-FI Prelude 7.1 Sound Card PCI 32BIT EAX 5.0 - PRELUDE In Canada.

I'm in Canada, so I'll likely be ordering from NCIX. I'm leaning toward the Prelude as it's in stock and the rebate is instant, otherwise I'd probably get the Forte. That said, I'd go for the Forte if the sound will be superior. Or is there even a point in getting anything better than the X-Fi Gamer if I swap out the op-amps for some LM4562 chips? Or, just stick with the Forte to get the onboard headphone amp?

Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 8
If your situation allows it, I suggest you forgo the soundcard upgrade and go straight for the DAC/amp option. I have the X-fi Xtreme music and was pretty pleased with my grado sr225. However, when i got the EMU 0404 USB i was amazed by the sound improvement--specifically in the details. I picked up the EMU for ~130 on ebay. IMO it's definitely worth the little extra.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm using onboard sound now (
rolleyes.gif
) so I really need a card. I'll be stepping up to a DAC/amp later on - I'll be taking a look at the EMU when I do.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 8
If your onboard sound has digital out then you can go straight to a DAC without upgrading to a dedicated soundcard. If it doesn't then a lot of people on here use DACs with a USB input so they just plug straight into the computer and act as an external soundcard. It might save you getting an internal soundcard that sits unused when you get a DAC.

Of course if a DAC doesn't suit your current setup then a better soundcard can improve the performance. The onboard sound can be pretty decent on modern computers (not hi-fi, but still pretty good). If you get a DAC with a few inputs then you can use it with other digital equipment you have.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 8
What do you guys mean when you say "if my situation allows" and "suit my current setup"? Keep in mind, I don't have the slightest clue about computer audio. To be clear, the only things ever hooked up to my computer are the speakers or headphones.

I do have an optical out on my mobo - are there any drawbacks to just getting the EMU that Lynch recommended? In getting the EMU, would I just be trading the soundcard's multi-channel audio for better quality 2 channel? Is the EMU sufficient for gaming?

One major benefit of the EMU is that I can just toss it on my MacBook Pro for portable listening as well.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys mean when you say "if my situation allows" and "suit my current setup"? Keep in mind, I don't have the slightest clue about computer audio. To be clear, the only things ever hooked up to my computer are the speakers or headphones.

We're meaning if you have the space and don't mind having extra boxes attached to the computer. Sometimes other family members find these unacceptable or there just isn't room. And there is always your budget.

Quote:

I do have an optical out on my mobo - are there any drawbacks to just getting the EMU that Lynch recommended? In getting the EMU, would I just be trading the soundcard's multi-channel audio for better quality 2 channel? Is the EMU sufficient for gaming?

The only drawback would be only having stereo outputs instead of surround sound, but they'll sound better. It should be as good for games as the onboard sound (in stereo), but won't have any of the fancy EAX processing of the Creative cards you've been looking at.

Quote:

One major benefit of the EMU is that I can just toss it on my MacBook Pro for portable listening as well.

That's one of the good things with USB soundcards. You can use them on more than one machine and move them round when you need to.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the info, Stoin.

Since I game with headphones, the only thing I'll be losing is surround sound for movies, which I'd gladly trade for higher SQ. In fact, even though I'm a movie buff, my home system is still stereo - I'd rather put more money into 2 awesome channels, than distribute it amongst 5+ channels. I think I'll be going for an EMU type device. Any recommendations on other stuff to look at?

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 8
I can't really offer too much in the way of recommendations for external soundcards. I did spend a long time looking around for one myself. In the end went for something completely different when I couldn't find one that fitted my needs. From what I've read the EMU 0404 USB is a pretty safe option and there are quite a few people on here who use them and seem very happy. There are other manufacturers like Edirol, PreSonous, M-Audio (they're pro-audio so you may not have heard of them) who I believe make similar products, but I have no experience of these.

Maybe checking through some threads about the EMU will give you a better idea of alternative products to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back