Noob ?'s, Best Soundcard, Bit-rate...
Aug 8, 2007 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Prozakk

Banned
I have a 80gb g5.5 iPod. I currently use Yuin PK 2's. I recorded my cd collection at 320vbr mp3 and only used slightly less than 15gb.

I notice that on some songs, the SQ is just plain off in comparision to the CD.

I plan on buying UE11Pro's in November.

I want to re-record my CD collection (yes, start all over) onto my computer & iPod.

Now to the ?'s:

What soundcard is the BEST?

What is the best route to record my cd's to make it as close to the original cd as possible?

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 10
if your entire collection of CDs only takes up 15GB, just convert the CD audio to a lossless format like FLAC or Apple Lossless

you should use Exact Audio Copy + LAME (using alt-preset-xtreme) for MP3 at least... not iTunes or anything else

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardnrg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if your entire collection of CDs only takes up 15GB, just convert the CD audio to a lossless format like FLAC or Apple Lossless

you should use Exact Audio Copy + LAME (using alt-preset-xtreme) for MP3 at least... not iTunes or anything else

EAC...I looked at it in the past. Awefully complicated!
blink.gif
frown.gif

What about the soundcard???

And I'd like to have the room to grow along with my cd collection...

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 10
The sound card has no impact on the quality of files ripped from CDs. It may impact the playback of those files, but it doesn't have any impact whatsoever on the ripping process.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound card has no impact on the quality of files ripped from CDs. It may impact the playback of those files, but it doesn't have any impact whatsoever on the ripping process.

Cool.

So...what to use if using EAC intimidates me? Anything of similar quality, that's easier to use?

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 10
EAC may look intimidating, but it is a very simple program to use. If you are going to go lossless, then it can be even easier - there are programs that will use the features of EAC, but leave it sitting in the background, so you never use its interface at all.

Eg: http://legroom.net/software/autoflac
There are other even easier apps around too
Look around the Hydrogenaudio forums - loads of easy solutions to your problem...

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool.

So...what to use if using EAC intimidates me? Anything of similar quality, that's easier to use?

dBPowerAmp Reference--but you're going to have to pay for it!

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back