Noob questions about portable headphone amps....
Jan 13, 2013 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

scolaiw

100+ Head-Fier
Hi fellow Head-Fiers!

This is my first post and I'm a bit of a noob so bear with me guys!

So I've been stalking these forums for a while and reading tonnes of threads similar to this one but given such a huge community with constant debate I can't make up my mind.

Currently, I have a pair of Pioneer HDJ 2000 which are fairly easy to drive (36 Ohm; 107 dB/mW) but from a lot of what I've read, they could still benefit from an external amp. Personally, I find for many tracks I would need to max the volume on my iPhone or laptop to really hear all the detail I want out of the music.

I also intend on upgrading my cans in future to a Grado PS1000.

So is it still worth getting an amp?

If so, I intend on purchasing the FiiO E12 when it hits the markets in march. Does that sound like a reasonable investment?

Thanks! 
beyersmile.png

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 8
Shameless self bump! :D

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 8
Sounds like a great investment to me! So your source would be your laptop or iphone/ipod? I think you're pretty much all set with the E12

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Actually, my main source will be my Walkman since I can play FLACs from it and without double amping, but there's no reason why I won't also use it with my iDevices or laptop.

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
This is my first post and I'm a bit of a noob so bear with me guys!
So I've been stalking these forums for a while and reading tonnes of threads similar to this one but given such a huge community with constant debate I can't make up my mind.
Currently, I have a pair of Pioneer HDJ 2000 which are fairly easy to drive (36 Ohm; 107 dB/mW) but from a lot of what I've read, they could still benefit from an external amp. Personally, I find for many tracks I would need to max the volume on my iPhone or laptop to really hear all the detail I want out of the music.
I also intend on upgrading my cans in future to a Grado PS1000.
So is it still worth getting an amp?
If so, I intend on purchasing the FiiO E12 when it hits the markets in march. Does that sound like a reasonable investment?

Technically, the Pioneer HDJ-2000 and Grado PS1000 are low impedance (Ohm) and really do not need much in the way of amping.
(there are more then then Ohms that effects amplifying headphones, but I'm keeping it simple)
A $27 Fiio E6 would be more then enough to drive them, so getting a Fiio E12 might be a little overkill.
(I've been thinking of getting the E12 myself, but so far can't really come up with a practical reason to buy it, but I still want it when it comes out).
The Fiio E07K & E17 DAC/Amp might be a good choice, as chances are they come with a better DAC then your laptop.
And the E07K & E17 come with a line-input for use with your iPhone 4 (or is it iPhone 5?).

Both the E07K & E17 come with a USB (digital) input (bypasses built in sound card), which is fine for music, or 2-channel (stereo) audio for movies or gaming.
But the E17 also has S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) digital input, which when connected to a S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) output on a computer (desktop or laptop), gives you access to all the features of the built-in audio sound card.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 8
And, since no one's told you yet:

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!   
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Technically, the Pioneer HDJ-2000 and Grado PS1000 are low impedance (Ohm) and really do not need much in the way of amping.
(there are more then then Ohms that effects amplifying headphones, but I'm keeping it simple)
A $27 Fiio E6 would be more then enough to drive them, so getting a Fiio E12 might be a little overkill.
(I've been thinking of getting the E12 myself, but so far can't really come up with a practical reason to buy it, but I still want it when it comes out).
The Fiio E07K & E17 DAC/Amp might be a good choice, as chances are they come with a better DAC then your laptop.
And the E07K & E17 come with a line-input for use with your iPhone 4 (or is it iPhone 5?).

Both the E07K & E17 come with a USB (digital) input (bypasses built in sound card), which is fine for music, or 2-channel (stereo) audio for movies or gaming.
But the E17 also has S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) digital input, which when connected to a S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) output on a computer (desktop or laptop), gives you access to all the features of the built-in audio sound card.

Yeah, I'm stuck in the same situation, I pretty much know it's overkill but want to get it anyway. Haha! Thanks for the input; maybe I will look into the E07K or E17 as you suggested since it seems to have more uses with the added DAC for my laptop, (though I have to say I am quite please with the stock sound card in my laptop). And I have an iPhone 5, but I use my Walkman as my dedicated music player. 

Quote:
And, since no one's told you yet:
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!   
beerchug.gif

Thanks a lot! I think I can already see the hole burning through my wallet. 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
^ what he said, I stay at my friends house and have a schiit car but a fortune in amps/dac/headphones

Thanks to you too! A little off topic, but I have a BMW X1 in a factory somewhere in Germany waiting to be shipped here with their Harman/Kardon Hi-Fi option so I can hopefully have a reasonable car and decent music too! I'm not a fan of eq, but given that a car is it's own listening environment, maybe after I get the eq settings juuuust right, driving will never have sounded better.

Cheers everyone!  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back