noob questions about amps.:confused:
Oct 27, 2006 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bpower

100+ Head-Fier
Are amps just about volume or do they improve the sound even at low volumes? Does the amp only "kick in" when you turn up the volume?
Why don't manufactures of home systems just put more power into the headphone jack? Basically, what's the deal with amps?

I only have a pair of sr60s so i dont need an amp now (or so i've read) but im getting sr325i soon.

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 5
It does improve sound even at low levels, and no, it's not about volume. It's about distortion and damping factor.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy
It does improve sound even at low levels, and no, it's not about volume. It's about distortion and damping factor.
smily_headphones1.gif

That what i dont get, if it not about volume level, are you not better off pluging directly to the source. Does saying "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" have any relevance here? If the output of the headphone jack on your cd player has distortion how can an amp remove it?

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Whatever equipment you use to listen to your music (stereo receiver, computer, portable player) you are actually using an amplifier of some sort - usually not very good (headphone outs are an afterthought in most equipment).

Basically, don't think about this in terms of "adding" an amp, but rather in terms of *replacing* a not very good amp with a better amp - one with a separate power supply, and optimized for headphone use.

The actual effects of an amp, that is to say perceptible effects, vary depending on the system and your headphones - in some cases the differences are subtle, in other cases, with more power hungry headphones in particualr, the differences can be quite dramatic.

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpower
That what i dont get, if it not about volume level, are you not better off pluging directly to the source. Does saying "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" have any relevance here? If the output of the headphone jack on your cd player has distortion how can an amp remove it?

When you're using a specialized headphone amp you usually bypass the headphone out (and the amp that powers it) of your source and amplify the line out signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back