Noob question
Jul 28, 2012 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mikael109

New Head-Fier
New to the forums here but I've been searching through here for awhile now.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I've been looking into getting better sound out of my work computer for awhile.

I'm looking to go pretty cheap since this is my first endeavor into the audio world. I think I'm set on a grubDAC or skeletonDAC (assuming the grubDAC is a little nicer?) but am stuck trying to find a cheaper DIY tube amp for headphones..

I came across this (http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/12AU7-IRF510-LM317-Headamp/) but was wondering if it would it would do anything positive coming off one of those DAC's, or if it would actually degrade the audio.

I'm looking for something DIY that uses tubes for under $100 if possible. I have experience soldering pcb's, but have strayed from the 120v options since I haven't worked on anything high voltage yet. (I build joysticks for ps3 and xbox360 so everything has been relatively low risk voltage wise) I'm not completely opposed to 120v, I'd just like to start off on something less risky.

I was just hoping someone could chime in and point me to other options than the link above if there are any, or if that's my best bet for an amp coming off the listed DAC's.

Thanks for your time!
Mike

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
New to the forums here but I've been searching through here for awhile now.
I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I've been looking into getting better sound out of my work computer for awhile.
I'm looking to go pretty cheap since this is my first endeavor into the audio world. I think I'm set on a grubDAC or skeletonDAC (assuming the grubDAC is a little nicer?) but am stuck trying to find a cheaper DIY tube amp for headphones..
I came across this (http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/12AU7-IRF510-LM317-Headamp/) but was wondering if it would it would do anything positive coming off one of those DAC's, or if it would actually degrade the audio.
I'm looking for something DIY that uses tubes for under $100 if possible. I have experience soldering pcb's, but have strayed from the 120v options since I haven't worked on anything high voltage yet. (I build joysticks for ps3 and xbox360 so everything has been relatively low risk voltage wise) I'm not completely opposed to 120v, I'd just like to start off on something less risky.
I was just hoping someone could chime in and point me to other options than the link above if there are any, or if that's my best bet for an amp coming off the listed DAC's.
Thanks for your time!
Mike

On eBay they sell single tube headphone amplifiers.
I think the Indeed brand has a good design.

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the suggestion!

Did a bit more research and checked out what's on eBay right now.. I think I'm getting in over my head trying to find an amp at the moment though.

I'm going to build a GrubDAC and pick up a pair of headphones that don't need to be run by an amp to tie me over until I can work on picking up a nice quality DIY tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back