noob question
Feb 25, 2007 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ronmtorres

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
This is my first time to post in the amp section. I have bought the pa2v2 pocket amp out of what I have read about amps making 'phones sound better. I am contemplating on buying a new amp and am currently saving up for one. However, I really do not know how amps make music sound better. What does an amp actually do? I do not mean the scientific way (like current, or what have you) of making the sound better, what I mean does it make bass or other things better? Just a layman description of how the amp makes sound better. Sorry for such a noob question guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 4
Every designer has a philosophy that decides the budget, circuit design, and parts of the amplifier. This is “why” amplifiers sound different.
Because amplifiers sound different many will excel in specific areas. For instance, amplifier A may excel in transparency, detail, focus, and speed, where amplifier B may excel in macro dynamics, size of image, extension of the frequency extremes, and decay. No amplifier is perfect, and it’s up to you to decide which one fits best in your system for your preferences.

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 4
Think of head-amps like 'engines' for your headphones. The standard headphone out of your equipments (1000cc) can usually do the job alright. Replace them with a dedicated head-amp (i.e. 2000-3000+cc) and you get a boost in performance. The typical improvement I can hear with head-amping are smoother/more refined sound with greater grip/control over the sound and improved detail resolution. Overall, this should lead to greater enjoyment of tunes (provided your headphones can scale well, of course).

Cheers!

Feb 25, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Zorander, thanks for helping me again (you also answered my question regarding headphones)
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks also crescendopower
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back