(Noob question) Which set-up would be best? Shure srh 440?
Apr 14, 2012 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

l veracity l

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post here but I've been reading the forums for a while now. 

Last year I decided to buy some skullcandy uprocks as an upgrade from normal apple headphones. I thought that these were great, but apparently they're utter crap. After reading some stuff here, I also found out that monster beats headphones are severely looked down upon while I thought those sounded amazing in the best buy demo. So anyway now I want a real set of headphones and after reading some stuff, the Shure SRH 440's seem to have a lot of stuff that I would like. Apparently they have balanced sound and are a good overall headphone for the price. However that price is fairly expensive in my opinion while it is relatively cheap around here. I wouldn't want to spend much more than the 100.00 cdn it is on amazon. So that being said, how good is this headphone? Would it be an upgrade from the apparently crappy monster beats even though its less money? I've also noticed some people saying that it doesn't sound that good without an amplifier. As a noob who thinks beats sound good, would this even make a difference for me? If it does make a difference, would it really be worth the extra money? I would prefer this headphone to be able to run out of my iPod nano...am I dreaming or would it still sound good through that. Another question I have is about the cord it comes with. Is there any way to get something shorter than 10 feet long??? I don't really want to be walking around with tons of cord stuffed in my pocket. It says that it comes with a "gold plated adapter". What exactly is that? Does that let you plug in different lengths of cord, or different types of cords? (by that I mean something that would fit into your tv, as opposed to your iPod) I can see how the 10 feet of cord would be useful for watching a movie, but not for listening on the go. I really have no reference to how good a real headphone is because the best I have ever heard is the monster beats. I haven't read one negative review about this headphone yet and I like the look of it. It would be way better if the cord could be changed for a shorter one though and would it still sound good to a noob without an amp? (I have read on here that some people say it needs the amp, while others say its good without it.) 

Thanks for your time and sorry for the excessive amount of questions
Paul

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:

CAL!

They normally go for less.

The 440's might not be that good for your uses. They really aren't that portable of headphones other than how easy they are to drive. I would go for some Koss ProDJ100. Much more comfortable on my ears.

So whats the deal for the cord on the shure? Can it be swapped for a shorter one since its detachable? How does the sound quality of the Shure compare to the Koss and the CAL?

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 25

Quote:
Hi, this is my first post here but I've been reading the forums for a while now. 

Last year I decided to buy some skullcandy uprocks as an upgrade from normal apple headphones. I thought that these were great, but apparently they're utter crap. After reading some stuff here, I also found out that monster beats headphones are severely looked down upon while I thought those sounded amazing in the best buy demo. So anyway now I want a real set of headphones and after reading some stuff, the Shure SRH 440's seem to have a lot of stuff that I would like. Apparently they have balanced sound and are a good overall headphone for the price. However that price is fairly expensive in my opinion while it is relatively cheap around here. I wouldn't want to spend much more than the 100.00 cdn it is on amazon. So that being said, how good is this headphone? Would it be an upgrade from the apparently crappy monster beats even though its less money? I've also noticed some people saying that it doesn't sound that good without an amplifier. As a noob who thinks beats sound good, would this even make a difference for me? If it does make a difference, would it really be worth the extra money? I would prefer this headphone to be able to run out of my iPod nano...am I dreaming or would it still sound good through that. Another question I have is about the cord it comes with. Is there any way to get something shorter than 10 feet long??? I don't really want to be walking around with tons of cord stuffed in my pocket. It says that it comes with a "gold plated adapter". What exactly is that? Does that let you plug in different lengths of cord, or different types of cords? (by that I mean something that would fit into your tv, as opposed to your iPod) I can see how the 10 feet of cord would be useful for watching a movie, but not for listening on the go. I really have no reference to how good a real headphone is because the best I have ever heard is the monster beats. I haven't read one negative review about this headphone yet and I like the look of it. It would be way better if the cord could be changed for a shorter one though and would it still sound good to a noob without an amp? (I have read on here that some people say it needs the amp, while others say its good without it.) 

Paul

I would not call anyone a noob for thinking that they sounded good on the display, I dont know what kind of witchcraft amp/dac they are using but the display makes them sound much better than they are in practice, and my recommendation would be shure srh440s with srh840 earpads. and the cord can be changed, I use my diy cable I made for "portable" use because its about 4 feet long but im sure that if you dont want too go down the diy route you can find a cable that would work, its a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable and the stock cord is coiled so it is not really 10 feet long.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
So whats the deal for the cord on the shure? Can it be swapped for a shorter one since its detachable? How does the sound quality of the Shure compare to the Koss and the CAL?

These should be a start:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/koss-tony-bennett-special-edition-tbse1-headphone

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-440-professional-studio-headphones-black

The Shure has a detachable cord--you'll have to search or ask someone else about what is available other than what comes with the can.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 25
I'd recommend the SRH 440, you dont even need the 840 pads to get more bass, I did some mods and the bass opened up, I will opening a thread on that shortly. Although I use them portably I hate them because makes me stand out like a tiger in midst of a zebra herd. So much staring to tolerate uggh.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
I'd recommend the SRH 440, you dont even need the 840 pads to get more bass, I did some mods and the bass opened up, I will opening a thread on that shortly. Although I use them portably I hate them because makes me stand out like a tiger in midst of a zebra herd. So much staring to tolerate uggh.

I did my own eq mods also what did you do too yours?

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 25

Quote:

Paul

I wouldn't call you a 'noob', but rather an enlightened new Head-Fier who will no longer be hoodwinked by the crass commercialization and glib and mendacious advertising by such agglomerates as 'Monster'.
Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet.  For now you're best to stick to low impedence headphones that don't necessarily require an amp to drive them efficiently.  Keep reading the threads here on
Head-Fi, and don't hesitate to ask questions.  You'll find that the community here is very helpful and will go out of their way to guide and elucidate new members. 
In terms of amplifiers and portable music sources such as your iPod, there are numerous small and light headphone amplifiers that can be incorporated with your Nano and not be too obtrusive.
The 'adapter' you refer to is simply a connector to allow you to use either 3.5 mm (small) headphone jacks or the larger 1/4" jack more commonly used in regular audio setups.
If the headphone advertises detachable cord, then you can likely get shorter or longer length cords that will meet your requirements.
The 'sorry about your wallet" colloquialism is very 'true' about one's continuing use of the Head-Fi forums and community as you grow into the headphone hobby.  I started out several years ago with a cheap
Sennheiser HD-201 headphone ($25.00) and after many headphones am now thoroughly enjoying my recently purchased HE60's (close to $2K).
Have fun!

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 25
I see you are Canadian, what city? If in Toronto theres a few stores you can actually go and try out some headphones hands one:

BayBloorRadio @ Downtown - just make sure to ask them to give you the headphones in your hands, you don't want it to be connected with all the rest of the headphones to one reciever, as I assume they are doing for demo purposes.

HEADFONEshop @ yonge and lawrence - here you can actually try out some IEM's and a wider selection of newer stuff from Shure and others, also the guy carries portable amplifiers from Alo, Fiio and ect. I actually purchased my Alo RX MK2 / CLAS right there, much recommended.

In Montreal, I do not know if these still are open or not, but there was: Layton Audio, MOOG AUDIO, AudioShop, 
HeadphoneShop.

There was a big one in Quebec, but I cant remember it especially at 3 am, but I would totally try anything out before buying, and also buy a cheap small amp like the FiiO's.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
I would not call anyone a noob for thinking that they sounded good on the display, I dont know what kind of witchcraft amp/dac they are using but the display makes them sound much better than they are in practice, and my recommendation would be shure srh440s with srh840 earpads. and the cord can be changed, I use my diy cable I made for "portable" use because its about 4 feet long but im sure that if you dont want too go down the diy route you can find a cable that would work, its a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable and the stock cord is coiled so it is not really 10 feet long.

I don't think I would want to go the diy route because I know absolutely nothing about how to do it. Anyway, where would I look to find a cable that would work?

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
These should be a start:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/koss-tony-bennett-special-edition-tbse1-headphone

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-440-professional-studio-headphones-black

The Shure has a detachable cord--you'll have to search or ask someone else about what is available other than what comes with the can.

After reading these reviews, I think I'm still leaning towards the Shure. Partly because of the good review and partly because of the amount of people who recommended it here. I'm sure the CAL would also be a good choice though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back