noob question: USB DAC recommendation?
Sep 4, 2006 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

krugorg

New Head-Fier
I now have a spare PC and want to use it as a audio source. I will be using this exclusively for audio playback (mostly Apple Lossless). I have a Audigy 2 ZS card and was originally planning on using it with a SPDIF connection to my Anthem AVM20 preamp. But after browsing this forum, I am leaning towards an external DAC via USB. Any suggestions? I have, so far, stumbled across the E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 and Stello DA100. Also, saw the cheaper Fubar II and Silverstone. I would prefer to spend in the $200 range, but can spend up to $800 (i.e. Stello) if I will hear a difference.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Kyle

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 5
I was looking into getting a M-Audio Transit to hook up DAC or just a Stello. Stumbled upon the Fubar2. With prices slightly higher than the Transit, I took a chance and bought it.

Pretty good with my Cayin SET head amp & Beyer 880. After burn-in and some isolation tweaks, sound is niceee...Frankly didn't expect this much sound quality for so low a cost.

Even came with decent RCA interconnect - connectors were thrashy but mid band is smooth.

Sep 5, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the link and the feedback on the Fubar II!!

gen G - did you have any ground loop problems with the Fubar? Heard this can be an issue with "inexpensive" DACs.

Has anyone listened to the new Stereo-Link 1400? Yup, they are the people that told me about ground problems with less expensive units.

Thanks,
Kyle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back