Noob Question: Is it worth it to get a portable amp for a pair of IEMs?
Apr 8, 2015 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ConsumerOfTacos

New Head-Fier
Right now I have a pair of Shure SE-215s being driving by an old Ipod nano, so as the topic states, I am wondering if a portable amp could make them sound better. Usually what I have seen in regards to amps is that they are usually for larger headphones that have greater power requirements. IEMs don't require a lot of power to work so would an amp make my Shures sound better? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I'm just getting into the audio game. Also if you believe a portable amp would benefit me, can you recommend one (preferably not too expensive, money is a bit tight) Thanks :)  

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 4
I doubt it. I have the SE215 and I have used them on an old ipod, an iphone and a Clip+. I have never thought anything was lacking - I think you are correct, IEMs are low impedance and high sensitivity, so getting them the power they need to perform is usually not a problem.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 4
According to my experience, a portable amp WILL give you better sound, even if you're using an IEM. However, as for SE215, I think upgrading IEM itself will be a better choice, as a result of the Cannikin Law.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 4
If you hook up a portable amp to your iPod Nano, no. It's definitely not going to help. All you will be doing is amplifying the sound of your Nano, and your IEMs don't need more power.

If you want a more refined sound, save up for a FiiO X3. That should give you a bit better sound overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back