(noob question) Is it possible to get physical quality & impressive sound for under $200?
Jan 24, 2012 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TopCaliber

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, obviously I'm new to high end audio because I made this thread and just joined the forum :D

At first before I really wanted to buy some headphones I started asking friends for advice.. After the usual "buy beats" I gave up on asking real life friends and tried to do my own research online. I was looking around and found some headphones... The Pioneer HDJ-1000s... The looks of it were nice, from the online pictures it seemed Strong and Sturdy... I couldn't figure out if it was metallic or plastic. BUT I wasn't ready to drop 150 dollars on it though. I googled some reviews and ended up here where I had people saying how those headphones weren't worth it so now I'm back to square one. I've looked through a thousand brands and have no clue what I want to buy.

I am attending university and I will mainly use these headphones for Video/Audio editing, Music listening, and Gaming. I listen to Hard Rock \ Metal. Aswell as alot of hardcore electronic. Like The Prodigy, Pendulum, Blue Stahli, Pendulum, and Crystal Method. Basically all the music that you would hear in an action movie trailer. 
basshead.gif

So I wanted to know if there were any headphones that could really rock and be very well built (hopefully not plasticy) that could would last a while... for under $200 dollars. Thanks guys!

PS: I can't use on-ear headphones because I wear them for literally 4-8 hours a day and those hurt my ears :frowning2:

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 9
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80. Their headband is entirely metal, and the ear cups are a very sturdy plastic. Moreover, they sound fantastic. I've heard a lot of people complaining about loose bass and recessed mids, but I find that to be entirely, utterly, and completely false.

They also isolate very well, and are extremely comfortable. They're really a winner across the board, as far as I'm concerned.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 9
Since you're just getting into things, you might not have a great idea of what sound you're looking for, but do you know of any preferences you have? Do you like bass heavy response? Neutral response?

When you say you don't want on the ear headphones, I assume that means you're alright with in-ear or circumaural (around the ear) headphones.

Finding something in your budget is definitely possible. Keep in mind, there will always be better (and more expensive) options. That said, I find that the $200 range gets you in the range of a lot of great headphones.

Do they need to be closed or will open designs work? (Closed have are sealed and will isolate outside sound and prevent your music/audio being heard by others. Open headphones can offer sound quality benefits, but allow sound to leak in and out)

Based on the information you've provided so far, I'd say you might want to look into the Ultrasone HFI-780. Most headphones you find will use a lot of plastic but wont necessarily feel plasticy or look cheap. These a a great example. Large portions are plastic but they feel solid and they use a little metal which ends up making them look great. I listen to a lot of metal and love them for that. The bass is tight, the highs are crisp and everything in between is nice too. They can benefit from an amplifier, but I frequently use them without one and it's never disappointing. You can always choose to add something like that later on if you feel like it.

If an open design interests you, you might want to check out the Audio Technica ATH-AD900. They're a little lacking in bass quantity, but the quality is great. The mid range is amazing as are the highs. The soundstage is very impressive. I just recently got these and they've become my favorite headphone in general. I still prefer my grados or ultrasones occasionally for a bit more of a "fun" sound, but the AD900 have a a nice frequency response and I generally feel more immersed in the music with them. They are extremely comfortable and great for long listening. They're my current go-to headphone. I will warn that they aren't the most portable, if that is a concern. They're typically a little over the $200 range, but definitely worth it in my opinion. Headroom's B-stock has a pair at a discount due to the box having been opened. I've ordered from their B-stock listings twice in the past and I never would have known they weren't brand new. This link is for their B-stock listings and has more information: http://www.headphone.com/support/b-stock-outlet.php

Read around for a bit more details on stuff like open vs closed designs and take a look at the thread linked below to see if there's a way you'd describe the sound you're looking for:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the lengthy reply CC Lemon...

Since I've made the thread I have been reading up more on headphones and sound in general.. I think I would like closed ear circumaural headphones with the ability to produce good bass but still maintain somewhat accurate sound. Seeing as most of the audio I'm going to working with will be used on other devices... I thought it would better to have it have a small amount of change in the audio. This isn't however necessary because most of the work is just for class or as hobby, nothing too serious. portability doesn't really bother me... If I would take it anywhere it would be with my laptop + gear... Which already weights almost 20 pounds. So whats the point of getting a portable headphone.. when everything else is so heavy?
smile.gif
  I'd rather carry more, but have better quality.

I don't think I have much more..  Would posting some links to music actually help? Thanks for the help so far everybody. 

Edit:  Actually on second thought. I would prefer a better listening experience over actual accurate sound.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 9
Sounds like the DT770 Pro-80's would definitely be up your alley.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Oh yeah, they're pretty easily driven without an amp, although they do clean up a bit with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back