Noob question: How to connect a DAC + AMP setup?
Feb 16, 2021 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

tatsumaru

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,
I've never owned a DAC and Headphone AMP before and I couldn't find a decent guide on the net explaining how to build an audio system and connect it to your PC.
So far I have the Headamp GS-X mk2 for the amp and Chord Hugo TT2 for the dac.
Can someone please explain what's the proper way to connect these to my PC so I can start listening on my headphones?
I don't mind reading a book if that could help.
Do you place the DAC first and then the AMP? What kind of cables would I need?
Thanks.

Cheers.

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 22
You will have to connect the PC to the Hugo, via USB (USB IN connection, on the far right side of the back panel).

And the RCA OUTPUT OUT of the Hugo, on the far left side of the back panel to the RCA INPUT 1 on the left side of the amp back panel.

Hope it helps.

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 22
You will have to connect the PC to the Hugo, via USB (USB IN connection, on the far right side of the back panel).

And the RCA OUTPUT OUT of the Hugo, on the far left side of the back panel to the RCA INPUT 1 on the left side of the amp back panel.

Hope it helps.

vmiguel thanks! so basically at the end the headphones go in the amp, not the dac right?

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 22
Yes to the amp. The chain is (in your case): pc > usb dac > rca amp > headphones

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 22
Well... techcnicaly you can connect the headphones right into the front panel of the Hugo TT2 and disregard the GS-X, as the TT2 is also a headphone amp besides being a DAC... so, you can test both equipments headphone outputs and see how do you like them. If the TT2 comes out winning, you can allways sell the GS-X. :wink:

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 22
Yes to the amp. The chain is (in your case): pc > usb dac > rca amp > headphones
Well... techcnicaly you can connect the headphones right into the front panel of the Hugo TT2 and disregard the GS-X, as the TT2 is also a headphone amp besides being a DAC... so, you can test both equipments headphone outputs and see how do you like them. If the TT2 comes out winning, you can allways sell the GS-X. :wink:
Thanks guys. Is there any additional equipment I should get to make these work properly? Like some special cables or what have you?
Also is it okay to place the DAC on top of the AMP on my desk (or the other way around) or is this going to cause some interference or something like this?
Cheers.

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 22
PC's tend to be very noisy, electricaly wise. Some sort of USB filter, like a simple Audioquest Jitterbug or iFi iDefender would be the least expensive upgrade with potential good results. But if you have a Hugo, I'm guessing the money would not be a great problem... If that's the case, maybe you can start thinking about a new source.
Special cables... I "think" I can hear a diference between a good cable and a normal cheap one. Besides that, any cable from a reputable brand sounds more or less the same to me...

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 22
Why advice him to connect with RCA when he can go better with XLR?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 22
Because I did not noticed the xlr in one of the photos I've searched before answering. :)
And because I've only heard a diference between xlr vs rca on long cables, the only time I've tested... ymmv and all that :beerchug:

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 22
With RCA cables he can't go balanced with his amp.
He can have output from XLRs but it is not balanced.
GS-X mk2 doesn't do single ended to balanced conversion.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 22
You are right, of course. As the question was regarding the connections, I've assumed there would be at least a single ended headphone output and never looked at the front panel photo.

So, @tatsumaru , for you to enjoy the most out of the Headamp you will need a balanced heaphone, and XLR cables between the DAC and the amp, as @m-i-c-k-e-y wrote. I believe you did not mention which headphones you have. Anyway, you still have single ended headphone outputs on the Hugo.

Sorry for the missleading post.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 22
maybe you can start thinking about a new source.
Well I was toying with the idea of getting a turntable, but I really want to play my own playlists and have more control over the audio flow (repeat, shuffle, mixing different albums and authors etc.). What other source should I consider, some portable player?

So, @tatsumaru , for you to enjoy the most out of the Headamp you will need a balanced headphone, and XLR cables between the DAC and the amp, as @m-i-c-k-e-y wrote. I believe you did not mention which headphones you have. Anyway, you still have single ended headphone outputs on the Hugo.
What kind of XLR cables would you recommend?
I am thinking of getting the Audeze LCD-4. is it balanced? Also I noticed the amp has 3 outputs on the front. One says 'balanced' and the other two say 'L/SE and R/SE', should I be using the 'balanced' one?
Also is it okay to place the DAC on top of the AMP on my desk or is this going to cause some interference or some other issue?

Thanks.
Cheers.

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 22
(...) What other source should I consider, some portable player? (...)
Your DAC and Amp deserve a good source. Do you have a budget?
In a low/mid level, i'm very happy with a streamer made from a Raspberry Pi running MyVolumio, and some accessories like a better power source and USB cleaner. This gives me a good signal to feed a mid level DAC (see my signature).

What kind of XLR cables would you recommend?
Don't have any relevant experience with XLR cables. Normaly I go for the AudioQuest RCA and USB cables (entry/mid level), as I like them and have a good discount on my supplier.

I am thinking of getting the Audeze LCD-4. is it balanced? Also I noticed the amp has 3 outputs on the front. One says 'balanced' and the other two say 'L/SE and R/SE', should I be using the 'balanced' one?
I'm not really sure, maybe they have diferent cables.

Also is it okay to place the DAC on top of the AMP on my desk or is this going to cause some interference or some other issue?
As long as they don't overheat... better check the instructions on both equipments, should have minimum requirements regarding ventilation.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 22
Your DAC and Amp deserve a good source. Do you have a budget?
In a low/mid level, i'm very happy with a streamer made from a Raspberry Pi running MyVolumio, and some accessories like a better power source and USB cleaner. This gives me a good signal to feed a mid level DAC (see my signature).
So let me see if I get this correctly. You install the volumio distro on an embedded board like rasperry pi and basically stream your music via the network and this is done so that your music is played from a source with significantly less electronics than your PC/notebook on it with the main goal to minimize noise/jitter etc? Doesn't that mean that I can only use my headphones to listen to the music from the streamer and I need another set of headphones for watching movies etc on my PC?

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 22
Regarding MyVolumio, I can listen to my files from a NAS drive on my network, and stream Tidal, YouTube (only sound), webradios, etc. And the goal is exactly as you stated, and also freeing my PC for other tasks.

The Hugo TT2 is also a pre-amp, as my Pro-ject. So you can connect diferent sources. I have the Raspberry connected via USB to the DAC, and my PC goes USB to a converter USB->S/PDIF coaxial that goes also to the DAC. So I can listen to both sources on the same DAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back