Noob question: Can an iPod connect directly to a DAC?
Nov 27, 2007 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HedgeHog

Head-Fier
Hi folks,

New to this game and just got a Touch, SR-60, and UE Super.Fi 5 Pro. So far so good but as usual, the upgrade bug hits quick. Looking at amps like the XO but saw the preorder for the Ray Samuels Predator w/ DAC.

My noob question is whether one can only do the DAC thing when connected to the PC/laptop or can a portable device take advantage of that too? If it's the former, I'm guess a good amp + LOD cable will do the trick? I searched the forum but nothing concise comes up.

Also, are there any other (not uber high end) amp that the forum members recommend besides the C&C XO (I am getting no response from Headb.com). I've tried my relatives Grado RA-1 with my SR-60, Super.Fi, HD540 Pro, his GS-1000 and HP1, I gotta say I was underwhelmed with that amp.

Thx in advance.

-Hedwig

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by HedgeHog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi folks,

New to this game and just got a Touch, SR-60, and UE Super.Fi 5 Pro. So far so good but as usual, the upgrade bug hits quick. Looking at amps like the XO but saw the preorder for the Ray Samuels Predator w/ DAC.

My noob question is whether one can only do the DAC thing when connected to the PC/laptop or can a portable device take advantage of that too? If it's the former, I'm guess a good amp + LOD cable will do the trick? I searched the forum but nothing concise comes up.

Also, are there any other (not uber high end) amp that the forum members recommend besides the C&C XO (I am getting no response from Headb.com). I've tried my relatives Grado RA-1 with my SR-60, Super.Fi, HD540 Pro, his GS-1000 and HP1, I gotta say I was underwhelmed with that amp.

Thx in advance.

-Hedwig

No, the ipod only outputs analog signal -- it has its own internal DAC. You need digital signal to take advantage of a DAC, which usually means a device that can output USB, optical (toslink), or coaxial (s/pdif).

I don't know what your price limit is, but you might want to check out the Headamp Gilmore Lite or one of the cheaper amps from Headroom or Meier Audio.

Good luck.

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 6
First, the Predator thread in the MoT forum is not a pre-order thread. Ray said that himself in one of the recent posts. Where are people getting the impression that it's a pre-order thread?

The DAC of the Predator is configured with a USB input only so it can only be connected to a source that outputs over USB.

Squash the upgrade bug now, IMO you've got a nice ultra-portable system as-is.
smily_headphones1.gif
You don't need an amp or a line-out, enjoy the music and run from this site!

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Both the RSA Predator and the Headamp Pico have the ability to use the dac section when wanted and not when not needed. You can use it with your computer or take it on the go. The versatility attracted me. I've heard both and was impressed, especially since they are so tiny. I ordered the Pico, as it's more to my liking, but the Predator may be more to yours. Do some research in the meet impression threads.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi,

The XO is probably OK, but I can say that I definitively prefer the porta corda to the C&C Box+ (these are the only two amps I can compare). I know the XO should be better than the Box+, but still a used meier amp seems to be a good choice, even if the C&C's are beautyful and practical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back