Noob question about TV connections
Jun 2, 2015 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ktmracer12345

100+ Head-Fier
So currently I'm listening to music from my iPad with an O2 amp and a pair of Q701's. It's what I would consider fairly decent SQ and good enough for the time being. I also use this setup to watch streaming movies from Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu with my iPad. I would like to start using my TV more, but the lack of SQ makes me turn back to my iPad. What is the best way to get reasonable sound quality from my TV to my headphones? It's a distance of about 13' if that makes a difference. My TV is a modern plasma but everything is ran through my Xbox One.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 6
You can take an optical out into a DAC from either xbox or TV, then into a headphone amp. For a bit lower quality, if your TV has headphone or rca out you could go straight to a headphone amp. I also heard rumour of an xbox controller with headphone out being released recently ?

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 6
So currently I'm listening to music from my iPad with an O2 amp and a pair of Q701's. It's what I would consider fairly decent SQ and good enough for the time being. I also use this setup to watch streaming movies from Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu with my iPad. I would like to start using my TV more, but the lack of SQ makes me turn back to my iPad. What is the best way to get reasonable sound quality from my TV to my headphones? It's a distance of about 13' if that makes a difference. My TV is a modern plasma but everything is ran through my Xbox One.

Assuming your TV has an optical output.
Get a Schiit Modi DAC with the optical jack, run the optical cable from the TV to the Modi, then connect the Modi to the O2.

What is the make and model of the TV?

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 6
This is my TV: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN60F5300BFXZA

A Schiit DAC sounds like it might be the best way to go. I've wanted one for a while anyway. A Modi 2 Uber is only $150 and includes optical for the TV and USB for my iPad. It looks like a pretty sweet DAC, especially for the price.Thanks for all your help!

One thing I found with my Samsung is that I didn't have the option to get it to output a 2.0 signal via optical when playing using the Smart TV function. This was a problem as I like to watch movies using the streaming service. As a result I had to get a 5.1 optical DAC to convert down. I believe on the xbox you can select it to output stereo, but you still may have this issue with the Smart TV function if you use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back