Noob question about line out
Mar 16, 2006 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zombieDave

500+ Head-Fier
Why is a "line out" desired by many on their portable players - CD players & MP3's? Is it used for running the player to an external DAC or do people plug their headphones into this output instead of the headphone output for some reason? Or, is it used to run to an external amp (like a CMOY)? Doesn't the headphone jack do those things, as well?
I only ask because I found an old Sony Discman - mod#D-173 - that still works in my little brother's room buried on his toy shelf (mom used to use it while running) and it has a line out feature. Second question, is this model CD player any good? I do need one, but if it's more than adequate, I'll keep it!
Please excuse my noobiness. I'm still learning. Thanks.

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 6
I think line out was originally designed to hook it up with a reciever powering your speakers. Therefore the signal is more powerfull and bypassing all the stuff you've got in a headphone jack like resistors and vol. control or whatever is going on there.

Most ppl here own amps so it makes more sense to hook it up to yer line out. It is conisidered a luxury nowdays becouse most companies changed their prioreties and don't make pcdp's/dap's with line outs.

Dunno about DAPs but if you compared an old ass cd player to a modern one you would see what i mean.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 6
What do you mean comparing old to new (in your last statement)? Is every old CDP better than most of the newer ones? How about my model Sony?
If I hook this Sony up to a CMOY, should I use the line out, then? If my CMOY has no volume control, should I get one of those external volume controls at Rat Shack and use it inline with the headphone cable? Will this cheap component weaken the SQ?
Thanks.

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 6
Uhh i didn't notice in your post that you allready own a vintage player. The D-173 is pretty generic model but i still belive it will beat any modern model you'll come up with ( soundwise only).

Should you use the line out? Dunno, figure it out on yer own. Play and swap around and see if it's worth it, if you allready own a player with a line out. What difference does it make what i think or any one else here? It's all about the sound isn't it?

And no, you shouldn't hook your amp to a line out if you don't have a vol. control on it (never heared of one as the primary purpose of an amp is to ampify the sound signal..).

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Basically the Line Out is the signal right from the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter). The line out bypasses the internal amplifier, so you can use a separate amplifier, such as a Cmoy.

To use an external DAC one must tap into the digital source. The digital signal from the music player will be converted into analogue with the external DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back