Noob question about headphone amp
Jul 9, 2008 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dayamax

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Sennheiser HD555 (50 ohm) headphone which I use straight from my ipod or laptop. I can get sufficiently loud volumes from these sources.
I have a few questions regarding headphone amps :
1. How will it help me since I don't want any more volume ?
2. What kind of amplifiers are headphone amps - voltage, current or power ?
3. What kind of output impedance do they have ?
I have never used a headphone amp, so I am sorry if any of these questions are irrelevant. All replies are welcome.

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dayamax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Sennheiser HD555 (50 ohm) headphone which I use straight from my ipod or laptop. I can get sufficiently loud volumes from these sources.
I have a few questions regarding headphone amps :
1. How will it help me since I don't want any more volume ?

Volume is only one enhancement that a quality, separate amp will give you. For audiophile listening, it may not even be the most important. You see, every device that you may plug into with headphones has to have an amplifier already. The question is how much quality can be provided by that amp that's packed in there with other stuff?

Volume may only be amplified at certain frequencies and/or the device's amp may not be very quick. Dynamics can be muted, details lost, etc. In some instances, there may not even be enough circuitry to prevent a built-in filtered bass loss. All of this can be addressed by a separate, quality amplifier. Quote:

2. What kind of amplifiers are headphone amps - voltage, current or power ?

Yes - all of the above.
wink.gif
The very best, expensive, top-flight amps will have all of those qualities. Smaller portables may not and could pair better with some phones, but not with others. It takes some education on the part of the consumer to find out which is which. Quote:

3. What kind of output impedance do they have ?

The lower the better, of course - but that usually comes with added expense. It's probably a fair statement to say that most separate, dedicated amps will have a lower impedance than exists in portables or non-headphone-specialized audio equipment. Quote:

I have never used a headphone amp, so I am sorry if any of these questions are irrelevant. All replies are welcome.

They're all relevant. Keep reading and asking questions. Go to a headphone meet in your area if they have one - that can help a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Continuing on the conversation then, say you have Sennheiser 555's or 595's
biggrin.gif
What kind of amp, portable or not, would you recommend for these headphones. Clearly they're not $700 headphones, but they're not $15 Wal-Mart headphones either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back