Noob question about BAs vs Dynamics
Dec 19, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #16 of 19
Interesting, I was in the mobile audio business for almost 20 years - and all things being equal - the same high current amplifier is going to get more volume out of the 18" woofer than the 10" - if the impedance is the same and the sensitivity/efficiency of the speakers are equal - the 18's will be louder - they move more air. Now will they be as accurate? Hell. No. I used to build sealed boxes with 8" and 10" woofers and they didn't make as much noise as a ported 12" - but they hit hard - they were faster and more musical - and they took more power to drive. 

So now I'm really confused.

With all things being equal, I think a sealed box is the most accurate but takes more power to equal a ported or band pass box to equal the same DB from what I can remember.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:
So in this instance the force is the electrical current being supplied and mA = Amature and Ma = Dynamic?

The force is the actual movement of the armature and dynamic driver.  The electrical current causes it to move.  The force itself is not the measure of electrical current (but it will be related to that).  More specifically, it's the movement placed on the air that causes a wave to be formed (a pressure wave).  Thus, the sound is produced.  

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #18 of 19
Uhhhh...

From experience, a 15" woofer sounds much louder than a 10" woofer lol

I think it's not about SPL capabilities, it's about the tuning.

For example, I can make a 10" woofer hit lower frequencies than a 15" depending on the enclosure. It might not get as loud, but it will reach much lower.

Probably the same with BA's. I have the X10, which I think nobody will ever tell you is a bass-shy headphone, and guess what? it's a single BA, and is probably the tiniest BA around; it doesn't get very loud, though. On the other hand, I've got the CX300 which is dynamic driver and it sounds MUCH louder, but does not reach as low.

And much the same in every frequency range. It's all about the design and tuning, not much if it is BA or dynamic.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:
Uhhhh...

From experience, a 15" woofer sounds much louder than a 10" woofer lol

I think it's not about SPL capabilities, it's about the tuning.

For example, I can make a 10" woofer hit lower frequencies than a 15" depending on the enclosure. It might not get as loud, but it will reach much lower.

Probably the same with BA's. I have the X10, which I think nobody will ever tell you is a bass-shy headphone, and guess what? it's a single BA, and is probably the tiniest BA around; it doesn't get very loud, though. On the other hand, I've got the CX300 which is dynamic driver and it sounds MUCH louder, but does not reach as low.

And much the same in every frequency range. It's all about the design and tuning, not much if it is BA or dynamic.

Physics still says otherwise...  The CX300 was tuned to be very loud.  There are also dynamics that are tuned to not be very loud.  Headphones take a lot more power to drive than my iPod.  They have gigantic drivers (30-50 mm drivers).  They tend to need twice the juice as my Heir Audio IEMs to reach the same SPL.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back