Noob needs some help upgrading :)
Apr 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rytheguy

New Head-Fier
I'm sure most of you know your stuff much better than I do, so I would really appreciate some personalized advice.

I previously owned a pair of V-moda Vibes and, while I liked them, the damn things just kept breaking. I even started to receive electric shocks in my ear before I finally decided enough was enough (actually I lost them, but I was going to replace them anyway :p) So I'm back in the market for a nice set of IEMs, with a price limit of about $150. Here are some of the things I am looking for, in order of importance to me:

1. Sound Quality - must also have good bass
2. Appearance - no over the ear designs, I don't like the look
3. Build Quality - I don't want these things to crap out on me
4. Comfort - I don't anticipate wearing these phones for extended periods of time, so comfort isn't tremendously important.

After doing some preliminary research, I thought I would probably enjoy the Klipsch X5's (though I'd have to buy these on Ebay to get them for $150) but I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!

P.S. If it helps, I mostly listen to rock (pop, punk, and classic) and hip hop, but occasionally I'll throw some smooth jazz into the mix.

Edit: Also, what is "burn in" time?

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 4
I haven't listened to the Phonak PFE and Monster Turbine but they all fall within your budget. Do read the many threads on them as they come highly recommended here.

Oh and welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry bout your wallet.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks guys, the monster turbines were exactly what I was looking for. I went ahead and ordered a pair today. I'll post my thoughts in the appropriate forum and can compare them to the Vibes (my room-mate has a working pair) if anybody wants, though I suspect very few people would be interested in that comparison...lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back