noob needs help with his first set of nice CANS !!
May 1, 2010 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

BassinURface

Head-Fier
Ok so i stumbled on this website and i couldnt stop reading all the posts so I just had to register lol.

First off I read a bunch of stuff already that was very informative. [smart ppl on these forums.] but it kind of left me even more confused.

Ok so here it goes .. Im picking up my first pair of nice headphones.. and i really need help. Im sure any 200-300$ headphones I pick up are going to be great but Im really picky.

So let me start of by saying I just started to learn how to DJ and i listen to house/electronic/progressive music and SOME rap ;] .. Im going to use these headphones to mix songs .. [dj] not produce. and some casual listening.

Stuff I listen to ..
Deadmau5, Crookers, Carl Cox, Daft punk, laidbackluke , afrojack , ..

So with all the stuff I read some good headphones might be the proline 750's or Sennheiser HD-25 ii [ these look like great phones im looking for more closed ear than over the ear] , ...

BTW do i really need an amp.. ill consider getting one but how do they compare without.. i mean these are my first cans ;]

Well it looks like thats it for my first post any suggestion would be awomse.. Thanks again guys CHEEERS!

L3000.gif

May 1, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 43
if you like bass go for a pair of DT770 250 ohm together with a portable amp. The Shure SRH840 also receives a lot of loves here. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with HD25-1 II.

May 1, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 43
Is it necessary to have an amp.. or is a select few?

I really want my headphones to feel comfy .. but the HD 25's keep coming back to me.. Dont you think I can find a nice headphone without an amp that still has some tight bass .. and good to dj with?

I dont mind spending a little bit on an amp but i dont think i can fork another $300 for an amp ;[...

BTW. There is a portable amp .. for like ipods.. and an amp [kinda like a sound card you install in your computer]?

May 1, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 43
hd25-1 it is then. make sure they come with velour pads, which will make them much more comfortable than the pleather. You should check out headroom at headphone.com you might be able to find a nice amp or DAC for about $100-$150

May 1, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 43
This is my picky concern actually... I Know I pretty much cant go wrong with sennheiser's but .. as far as bass goes.. I dont need them blasting .. I want a very tight punch but that would also be good for djing too .. I dont know if the senni'z are gonna do that :] any advice ! :]

May 1, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 43
May 1, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 43
Before I go and buy these cans .. one more question .. for my situation of course what do you think about the BEYER DYNAMIC DT880's vs the Sennheisers.. Im actually thinking about getting 2 sets actually .. one "fun" and one "reference" [im sure you saw that thread lol].

So im think im going to pick up the sennheiser for DJ purposes and maybe portable ...

But Im still trying to choose a "fun" headphone. [for electronic music again. and no amp ] what do you think of the DT 880's [i know you recommended the 770's how do they compare?] and or the PL750's.

Any recommendations would be sweet . Thank again!

I want a fun closed headphone .. good for electro... [wouldnt mind getting a small amp] comfy, and punchy bass.

May 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 43
I have never head the Beyer, but every1 has been saying DT770 is bassy and fun while DT880 is more analytic (meaning less bass). The DT770's bass seems to be the best one in its price range (textured not muddy) and those velour pads look damn comfy!
However, you need to get the 250ohm or 600ohm version to bring out their full potential, so get your self an amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 43
Ok so I made my decesion! Im gonna go pick up those HD 25's for djing and listing to more [true sound] stuff.

Im going to pick up those DT 770's for ipod and computer purposes to have some fun with .... one question about these though ..

Which pair should i get because the pro is the 250 ohmz and the regular one is the 600 ohmz version ...

and which amp would bring out these headphones? Thanks again [no seriously thx again]
atsmile.gif
im so excited!

May 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassinURface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so i stumbled on this website and i couldnt stop reading all the posts so I just had to register lol.

First off I read a bunch of stuff already that was very informative. [smart ppl on these forums.] but it kind of left me even more confused.

Ok so here it goes .. Im picking up my first pair of nice headphones.. and i really need help. Im sure any 200-300$ headphones I pick up are going to be great but Im really picky.

So let me start of by saying I just started to learn how to DJ and i listen to house/electronic/progressive music and SOME rap ;] .. Im going to use these headphones to mix songs .. [dj] not produce. and some casual listening.

Stuff I listen to ..
Deadmau5, Crookers, Carl Cox, Daft punk, laidbackluke , afrojack , ..

So with all the stuff I read some good headphones might be the proline 750's or Sennheiser HD-25 ii [ these look like great phones im looking for more closed ear than over the ear] , ...

BTW do i really need an amp.. ill consider getting one but how do they compare without.. i mean these are my first cans ;]

Well it looks like thats it for my first post any suggestion would be awomse.. Thanks again guys CHEEERS!

L3000.gif

Shure 840 will satisy you

May 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 43
I've have my Audio-Technica M50 for about a week and a half now, and they seem to match up with your preferences (and your username
wink.gif
). The bass is a bit sloppy at first, but it tightens right up pretty quickly.

By the way, some members who have heard both the DT770 and the M50 say they sound incredibly similar.

EDIT: Also, I don't DJ, but the M50 seem to be quite a popular DJ headphone. In my opinion, they have a sound signature similar to loudspeakers on a PA system, which I would suppose is a plus. However, if isolation is important, there are better-isolating headphones out there.

May 1, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassinURface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your own opinion do you think you would need an amp to drive the DT 770's or the M50'.. in aspect to ipod or computer listening? Or do you think they would be fine either way?

I do not own and have not heard the DT770s.

My M50 sounds great out of iPods and standard sound cards, but does improve with amping. Out of the box, I found that there was a big difference between the amped and unamped sound, but as they have burned in (or as my ears have burned in, depending what you believe), the difference between amped and unamped has diminished.

They're only $90, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back