Noob Needs Help: Senn 280 + New Amp = Limitation of Source?
Jul 23, 2004 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

46and2

Head-Fier
I’ve been a long-time lurker here at Head-Fi, and I’d like to say thanks for all of the great information. Now, my first post…

I started looking for a good inexpensive closed headphone about 6 months ago. I wanted to listen to my rather large music collection on my computer without disturbing housemates. Enter the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. I love these cans! The sound great right out of the front jack of my computer. I didn’t want to spend a fortune and didn’t completely understand headphone amps so I opted for the 280s and thought my time with head-fi was done. After hearing how great these phones sounded, I came crawling back like a junkie looking for my next fix (a little bit better sound). I decided I needed an amp. After much more research, I had Norm from Headsave build a MintVibe for me. Sidenote: I can’t say enough good things about Norm, excellent communication, service, and build quality! Back on topic. I just received this amp, and I can’t really tell much difference. In my research for an amp, I heard from several people that said the HD 280s improve with the use of an amp along with raves for the Vibe series from Headsave, what’s the deal?

I tested in several configurations trying to find the weak link:

Highest Quality Variable Bit-Rate WMAs from the front jack of my shuttle using NForce2 onboard sound. I cannot tell a difference between amped and unamped.

Same WMAs, but using the optical out to a Sony DB series amp with the pre-amp outs to the MintVibe vs the cans plugged into the headphone jack on the front of the amp. I cannot tell a difference.

Lastly, in an attempt to prove this amp is helping, I ran RCAs out of the Sony DVD player to the amp vs the cans plugged into the receiver’s headphone jack with the same song on WMA. I still could not tell a difference.

What’s the deal here? Have I found the limitation of the cans? The amp? WMAs? My ears? BTW, I was listening to Radiohead-OK Computer, Tool-Lateralus, etc.

Thanks in Advance!

Jul 23, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 3
Here's something to try. When sending the signal from your soundcard to the amp, put the volume setting in your computer all the way to max. Many soundcards have digital volume control, which results in bits (information) being thrown away in order to reduce volume. Putting the volume in your PC all the way up makes sure that all info is being passed, and you can simply use your amp as the volume control.

Jul 23, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 3
I don't know about the HD280s benefiting from an amp. I noticed the better sound from a Meta Mint to Grado Ms1s was more noticable when going back from 'line-out -> amp -> headphones' to 'headphone out -> headphones'.

When you go back you hear that 'headphone out -> headphones' is more scatchier and less smooth and full sounding.

If you amp an headphone out all the gain in performance IMO often is the maybe more plaesurable soundsignature. That is if the headphone out can sufficiently drive your headphones and doesn't need the extra amplification.

The other two set-ups I don't know. Maybe the headphone jacks are pretty good? Never heard them so that could be the case. Portable amps are made to make portables sound better. (and are nice headphone amps on a budget, not everyone with a headphone system has a receiver or integrated amp to plug their headphones in and it makes sence that in that situation you get a head amp as they are usually better for that purpose)

Do you have a portable player with both a line-out and headphone out? Try to compare those. But even that doesn't say everything. I've got a portable which line-out amped sounds worse than the headphone out unamped.

This is audiophile (enthousiast) territory where HUGH improvement often means 'getting the best out of something already pretty good'.

Anyway, try to listen to the vibe (preferably from a line out) for a while (week or so) and than go back to the headphone out (Use the same source of course). If you don't hear the difference or enough improvement you might come to the conclusion you didn't need the vibe afterall...

Also, what batteries are you using? Did you get one of the rechargeable plainview batteries? If you are using other rechargeables it could be that the amp is not getting enough power as most other rechargeables are just 8.4V or even just 7.2V. Instead of the plainview or maha powerex that are both 9.6V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back