Noob needs help deciding what to get....Suggestions pl0x
Nov 3, 2009 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DevlicK

New Head-Fier
Okay so im planning to get my FIRST headphones and i dont really know whats good and whats not. I have read the stickied thread and such but still unsure.

Anyway, im looking for
- something that i can use at home and outside (ie with my ipod when im out of the house)
- has to have decent bass and also good sound quality
- Price range is AU$300 (max)
- Comfortable
- LOOKS MATTER =]
- Over-ear
- Open or closed (doesnt really bother me, unless it affects the sound quality, i'll prefer to have good sound quality, which ever one that is =P)

Btw, whats the difference between fullsized headphones and portable?? well i know portable means u can carry them around, but like whats fullsized headphones?

Thanks in advance,

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 9
Full size phones aren't ideal for travelling, they're bigger and cords are usually longer.

Portables are just that; smaller and designed with portable players in mind. If an iPod is your only source, I'd suggest that $300 is not worth spending, the pod may not extract their potential.

Open sound better, and more natural, but let sound in and out so not always good for travel/public transport.

If looks really are important, just spend $300 on something you think is cool.

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Look at the Denon D1001. They're about 100 USD, around the ear, comfortable, easily driven from an ipod, look pretty good, and have plenty of bass and detail for most folks.

It's way under budget but I don't believe in spending a ton of cash on portable headphones.

-Nylan

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 9
I would go with sennheiser hd 25 1 mkII ! Unbelievable durable , great punchy bass not boomy , portable, great isolation/comfort, very light. They got stealthy look and you can buy velour pads with different colors.

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions guys!!

How much sound does open give out? like is it really audible for everyone else around??

i would also like to use the headphones at home as well, so i guess u can say the source is the pod and comp??

i wasn't really sure how much headphones cost and i had a look around on the web and saw that they kinda ranged from $200 to $1500 (this is Australian Dollars i'm talking about btw =]) so i thought $300 would be ideal XD

but yea, i'll have a look into the ones you guys mentioned, and of course if you go any more suggestions, i'll happily accept them

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevlicK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would also like to use the headphones at home as well, so i guess u can say the source is the pod and comp??

You won't do justice to $300 phones with onboard PC sound. Some people find iPods better for audio. I was one of them.

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't do justice to $300 phones with onboard PC sound. Some people find iPods better for audio. I was one of them.

Im just saying that i can afford up to AU$300. Doesn't necessary mean the headphones have to be around $300.

Hence why i came here for suggestions. I'll be happy with them as long as they meet my set criteria.

Btw i just want to make sure we're talking Australian Dollars here. Using XE - Universal Currency Converter I believe AU$300 is equivalent to US$271.

So around what price do u suggest that is suitable for the use of home and ipod?

From the suggestions you guys have given me, im having a tough time considering between Denon D1001 and sennheiser hd 25 1 mkII. but then again i have a while before i can get my headphones. Thus more suggestions are welcome. =]

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 9
Does anyone know where i can get the Denon D1001?? i've checked ebay.com at its about $126US (including shipping). It use to be $121US (including shipping) =.=" dont know why he increased the price.

but i was wondering, does anyone know where i can get it cheaper??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back