noob needs help choosing his first pair of headphones
Jul 28, 2009 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

deadpixel11

New Head-Fier
well..... like the title says.... i need help picking a pair of headphones.....
ill probably be using them exclusivly on the computer...... i have a large collection of flac. im looking at getting a xonar essence sound card with a pair of sennhieser 650s but...... ive looked around a bit..... and thought it best to just ask......
with that sound card, would i still need an amp?
my friend bought a pair of bose over the ears..... and those sound really good....
but i just want more than that....
i normaly listen to mix of rock and classical and im starting to like some jazz....
my budget is pretty low..... i mean.... as low as i can get with out sounding less than the bose my friend has....
thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 6
The Xonar Essence ST/STX has a built-in headphone amp, so you won't need to buy another one.

As for the headphones, I'll leave that to others as I don't really know what is good for these 3 genres.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Sony MDR-V6 you can usually find those for under 100.

The new Shure full sized line can be found here: Shop Pro Audio, Headphones, Studio Headphones | Shure | Musician's Friend
I've heard good things about the shure line

Also the Koss Porta Pro or Sennheiser PX100 both for 50

Those are the most bang for your buck IMO. They'll beat the bose, trust me.

One thing I should say, the Sony and the Shure phones are closed and will block out noise where the Porta pro and PX100 are open and will not.

I am sort of new to this also so listen to other ppl's advice

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 6
sorry about your wallet....

I started with Audio Technica ATH AD 700 and the Senns 555, never heard the 650 but was happy to start with the two I did...both are relatively inexpensive and you will enjoy them.

of course they are open so if you are going to be on your computer with other people around, may not be the best buy

best wishes and welcome to Headfi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back