Noob needs advice on studio headphones
Jan 4, 2008 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

xolp

New Head-Fier
Checking out the following four phones for use in studio for tracking and the occasional portable mix. Which one of the four are reccommended for durability, comfort and for sound quality.

BeyerD DT770
AKG K271S
AT ATH-M50
Senn HD-280

I can gather that quite alot of people hate the hd280. The BeyerD goes with alot of bass, which i feel might be a problem for mixing. The K271 is the opposite, with a lack of bass, and the m50 seems to be the best bet, but there are not that many people here who use it. Anyone has the m50 and can compare it with the others and comment.

Thanks

ps, im currently on the shure e4c and planning to use it unamped with my m-audio firewire 410.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 15
How about Sony MDR-V7506? They are marketed as professional studio monitors and have been said to be very durable and comfortable. The consumer version (MDR-V6) is cheaper but IIRC the drivers are not matched. Personally I have not heard them, but you can search on the forum for reviews on their sound quality.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 15
I auditioned DT770 and K271S side by side at a music store having the same purpose in mind.
I was overwhelmed by the comfort and musicality of the 770s but they definately seemed colored and bass seemed overemphasized.
Went with the K271S
Removable cable is a plus in my mind and i imagine you wont get hot ears as fast as with the Beyers
PM me if your intereseted in measurement of the 770 271S and M50 from a german recording magazine, [size=xx-small]their conclusion was 271S wins[/size]

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 15
just got some M50s today... can't say too much about them yet but they are really comfortable... seem to be able to withstand a couple drops (made out of hard plastic)... SQ wise they have some pretty nice amount of bass without affecting the highs or the mids... will tell you more later if you want....

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I auditioned DT770 and K271S side by side at a music store having the same purpose in mind.
I was overwhelmed by the comfort and musicality of the 770s but they definately seemed colored and bass seemed overemphasized.
Went with the K271S
Removable cable is a plus in my mind and i imagine you wont get hot ears as fast as with the Beyers
PM me if your intereseted in measurement of the 770 271S and M50 from a german recording magazine, [size=xx-small]their conclusion was 271S wins[/size]

Dont need the exact measurements, but how did the magazine arrive at the conclusion.

May 7, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 15
I think the Beyer DT250 would be better than all those choices. If I had to pick one of those though, it would be the DT770 without hesitation, the HD280 being second but miles away from the DT770.

May 8, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 15
I have to chip in here, with a suggestion. I have to say that my Roland RH 50's are one of the most balanced headphones i've ever had, bar my Stax. It doesn't have the commercial colouration that some of your suggestions have.

for comfort, my RH 50's beat the Denon AH- D1000's, and that's saying something. The RH300's are what i really want, but i bought the RH30's as a tester, and i'm not disappointed.

All matching items for sale.

I know Roland isn't a name that one might think about, and at the level you're looking at, you might want to think about the 200's or 300's, but all i'm saying is that if the 200'sor 300's are as good as the 50's then they're worth serious consideration. For studio work, i'd want nothing else!

May 8, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 15
If seriously contemplating AT's M50s, I highly recommend doing some searches on it. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the chassis used for those headphones have quite the poor history of prematurely breaking down. I might be wrong since I'm going on memory but I do remember doing searches and finding the info relatively easy so do your homework first. I know it was either AT's M50s or the Pro700s. It may have been both of them since their chassis are very similar. Slight differences at the hinge.

I do know that there have been issues with Senn's HD280 headband but they may have resolved those by now. Again, do your homework.

I will add a pair to your list: M-Audio's Q40. Do a search and you'll find the thread I started in regards to them. I think they best the DT770s - primarily in the mids though the Beyers extend slightly higher. I find the Q40s to be wonderfully balanced with terrific bass extension. As for build quality? One of the best I've seen and I have taken apart many headphones. They are the only monitor type of headphones I know of that use metal hinges where the ear chambers fold up. They are solidly built through and through (yes, I have completely disassembled mine). Comfortable as well without too much head clamp. I will say this, though - the detachable cable that comes with it is impossible to deal with. Too long and too springy with memory. I replaced it the same day I received mine.

I must say, I'm curious about captain73's recommendation. I've always liked Roland's sound when it comes to their guitar amps. I saw that they were selling headphone monitors and was wondering how they sounded. May have to try a pair.
cool.gif

May 8, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 15
I'm also curious about the M-audio. i always wrote them off after their grossly overpriced re-badged version of the UE's, but warrior05, you have my full attention about the Q40's!

May 8, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 15
I would go for the K271S.
Good comfort, and a great sound. I don't think there is a lack of bass. Just the right amount.

May 8, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 15
Wouldn't the headphone you choose for tracking in a studio depend on what instrument you play? If you're a bass player you might choose the 770s as they seem to emphasize the low end. You may choose a completely different and more neutral sounding headphone for mix down... although studio monitors are best for this. Its completely obvious when an engineer mixes our recordings solely on headphones. For me tracking drums and percussion... I primarily need a low impedance headphone with lots of volume. I'm in the process of switching to livewires for tracking and playing live.

May 8, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 15
DT250 for neutrality in the bass. Stock K271 could be a little weak in that department, while the DT770 exagerates there. Even knowing the sound signature, I would certainly be tempted to put much / too little bass in the mix respectively when working with those two.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xolp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont need the exact measurements, but how did the magazine arrive at the conclusion.

i would also like to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back