Noob looking to upgrade and I need suggestions/help.
Jul 17, 2015 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pwnerman

Head-Fier
Hello,

First off let me say I'm a total casual with audio and audio equipment so please go easy on me. 

I have owned a few pairs of headphones on the cheaper side and currently am using the Audio Technica ATH-M50x. I have been using them in conjunction with a FIIO E-17 portable Amp/DAC for a good while now. I have owned the E-17 for a good 4 years and the headphones since they came out. That is really all the equipment I have. 

I realize the audio game can get super expensive especially when I read reviews from dudes on here who have 41 thousand dollar amps and 11k Orpheus headphones haha. I have been wanting to up my game a little for awhile now but just didn't have the money too but I worked hard and got so many scholarships it paid my college in full and the leftover money is going to me so I want to use it for this. Right now on Massdrop they have a deal on brand new Sennheiser HD700's for 480 shipped. I have read so many reviews about them and I think they will fit my listening style well. I like a good amount of electronic, pop, and post-hardcore rock music. Ill listen to just about anything except Jazz and Country. Nothing against Jazz, it just doesn't fit me and country all sounds the same. But anyway I want to get them but I have no clue what amp and DAC I should get.

Like I said all I currently have is the FIIO E-17. I have used it nonstop for 4 years attached to my PC or on the go. I would like to move up a step to a desktop amp though to be a little more professional. I have no clue to be honest about these things. I have read so much about different things and I might be wrong but it seems a good many people end up recommending the JDS Labs Objective 2, or the Little Dot Mark 3. I can get the Mark 3 on sale right now on Massdrop as well for around 230 shipped and that was as much as I wanted to pay. Both of those options to my knowledge need a DAC for it to be able to connect to my PC correct? That is how I listen to all my music. I am on the computer 8-10 hours a day so that is where all my music listening happens. My questions on this part is exactly what do I need to get the signal from the PC to the amp and then to the headphones? Would my E-17 be able to be a capable pass through or would I need something else?  

Also I found a highly rated tube amp on amazon called Aune T1 MK2 and it has a USB port on the back so if I got that could I just connect it and it would work? Not too sure. 

Also I welcome any suggestions. I really do have no clue. I'm more proficient with PC's phones and other electronics. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 15
Hey, you should consider the Schiit Audio Asgard 2, it's a very nice solid-state amplifier and sells for 250 + shipping.
You need a Fiio L7 Line Out Dock (small and pretty cheap) in order to use your Fiio E17 only as a DAC to feed an external amplifier.

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 15
I had read about this unit before and it does look awesome. The only thing is that the L7 Line Out device you mentioned is discontinued. It isn't available from Amazon or on Fiio's website. If I couldn't use the E-17 as an DAC what would be a good alternative? 

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 15
Fiio E10K should work just fine!
Schiit Audio Modi 2 is even better.

Both nice and pretty cheap.

There's also the JDS ODAC, Schiit Modi 2 Uber.

You can get JDS The Element (DAC Amp) or Audio GD NFB 15 or 11 (DAC Amp) instead.

You should read about these products. They all perform pretty well.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 15
Fiio E10K should work just fine!
Schiit Audio Modi 2 is even better.

Both nice and pretty cheap.

There's also the JDS ODAC, Schiit Modi 2 Uber.

You can get JDS The Element (DAC Amp) or Audio GD NFB 15 or 11 (DAC Amp) instead.

You should read about these products. They all perform pretty well.

+1

This is a good list of items to focus your attention and research :)

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 15
it seems you guys are suggesting solid state amps. Is there any reason why no tube amps have been suggested. I'm not questioning you guys I just want to learn why you guys don't recommend them. 

Also talking to cel4145 when you suggested the e10 and the modi 2 I would have to use them in combination though right? the way you worded it made it seem like the one was a better alternative then the other. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 15
The E10K is a dac + headphone amp. Does not need the Modi.

The Modi is just a DAC and needs a headphone amp with it. The Magni or Objective 2 amps would be choices to pair with it.

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 15
The E10K is a dac + headphone amp. Does not need the Modi.

The Modi is just a DAC and needs a headphone amp with it. The Magni or Objective 2 amps would be choices to pair with it.

I like the Modi 2 uber and that would cost me 150, the magni 2 uber would be 150 as well for 300. 

In your opinion is that combination better then the JDS Labs Me Element for 350? 

Or maybe I could get the Modi 2 uber and a little dot mark 3 for 375. 

Out of those three combinations which seem to be what you guys are recommending would be the best for the 700?

Also sorry for asking about the little dot mark 3 but the whole tube concept intrigues me and if you could explain if it would be worth it in my situation that would be cool. massdrop has a good deal on it right now and im only looking at a 75 dollar difference between the three combos above so why not ask. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 15
Solid State amplifiers typically measure better and are more versatile. Normally you can plug almost everything from IEMs to high impedance full size headphones into a well engineered solid state amplifier.

On the other hand, OTL Tube amps works well with high impedance headphones and that's all.

Most tube amplifiers tend to colour the sound (more or less depending on design and tubes used) and add some distortion (audible or not depending on design).
So is up to you to pick a tube amp that colours the sound slightly towards your preferences. Solid-state amplifiers are typically neutral and very clear.

Modi 2 Uber / Magni 2 Uber
vs
The Element

Hard to tell, both should be similar.

If you really want a tube amp, check the Valhalla 2. It's quite expensive in comparison but there are tons of great reviews from knowledgable people, even to pair with the Sennheiser HD800. You can use a Fiio E10K to feed the Valhalla 2 and upgrade the Fiio in the future if you feel the need (or happen to have some extra money and find yourself willing to change it for a fancy looking DAC that will perform slightly better than E10K)

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #13 of 15
just curious but is that your setup in the footer of each one of your posts? if so it seems you use the modi and magni as well. 

I think i have narrowed it down to those two or the element. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 15
The Schiit M&M Uber stack has more features than JDS Element.

For similar money, you should consider the Audio-GD NFB-15: http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 15
  just curious but is that your setup in the footer of each one of your posts? if so it seems you use the modi and magni as well. 

I think i have narrowed it down to those two or the element. 

Yeah, that's my setup. I normally use Modi 2 Uber + Asgard 2
The Magni is a very good amplifier as well.
Asgard 2 is just a bit warmer than Magni and probably a better pair for Sennheiser HD700. That said, differences among solid state amplifiers are very subtle most of the times, do not expect night day differences when comparing solid state amps.

Can't go wrong with Magni 2 (or Magni 2 Uber) + Modi 2 (or Modi 2 Uber) + Senns HD700 unless you are treble sensitive and normally listen to music at high levels.
If that's the case, then you are probably better looking for a different headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back