Noob looking for line-out dock cable
Jun 7, 2008 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tom_s252

Head-Fier
Subject says it all, pretty much. I've finally caved into a combination of boredom and peer pressure and ordered an iPod Classic. It is currently winging its way here from Amazon. I have a GoVibe amp and am shopping for some canalphones (having read up on here!). The missing link is a line-out cable...

So, what's good, what's bad, where should I get it?

In anticipation of the usual torrent of noob-friendly, helpful advice...
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 11
I personally just got mine from Solozaudio.com for 150USD but they start from $50. There are a few people here who builds cables like stevenkelby who is highly rated. Probably should look around ALOaudio.com because they have pictures and some details about the difference with silver and copper based LOD's then decide you who want to build it.

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 11
How much are you willing to spend? - Quality connectors do make a difference but cost more, and you're better off putting a little more money into high-quality headphones, then upgrading the interconnect later. With higher quality phones, you'll have an improvement in audio quality with or without the amp. Check the For Sale forums for good deals on used line out docks (LOD).

Are you looking for a connector with an integrated cable, or a dock connector with a 3.5 mm plug with a separate cable? The former allows for a convenient setup, but does not allow much flexibility in terms of routing the cable.

I'm using an iPod dock connector with integrated cable to 3.5 mm. I am absolutely thrilled with my Jumbo Cryo x Silver iPod Dock from ALOaudio - Audio Line Out: Interconnect cables and portable line out docks for iPod . It sounds great, and ALO, a Head-Fi Sponsor has a great reputation and unbelievably good customer service. Just make sure you choose something for an iPod and not an iMod.

Such higher-end line out docks (LOD) cost quite a bit, but I figured I prefer buying it just once and not bother with upgrading it in the future. That way, I don't have to worry about what to do with something I no longer want.

Another option is to get certain Head-Fi members to make you one. Don't know who does this now, but I had a great experience with Turbo in the past.

Another Head-Fi Sponsor, Head-Direct.com has something for around $50. I've never used it personally, but head-direct.com has always been good about after-sales service/returns. You can also get a "pocket dock" - the dock connector without the integrated cable, for around $20 - you'll have to provide a 3.5 mm mini-to-mini cable to connect the "pocket dock" to your amp. These cables again vary in quality and length, and you'll just have to try and see what you like since you probably have such a cable with your GoVibe already.

If you would just like to get the ipod dock connector or Line Out Dock without the integrated cable, you can look at options from another Head-Fi sponsor I've had a good experience with - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears. HeadRoom sells a variety of mini-to-mini interconnects, as well as the SiK Black ram din for iPod" - I've used such a SiK (but white) for my car in the past. It's bulky but has a connector to charge your iPod via Firewire (not sure if it will charge the Classic).

Other commercial options out there include the PocketDock family of products from SendStation - Experts in iPod connectivity. Creators of quality accessories..
Do keep in mind that the AV will not give you a video out from the iPod Classic.

If you like the Sendstation PocketDock, consider another Head-Fi sponsor, Moon Audio Moon Audio . Their website seems to show the Sendstation PocketDock integrated with a high-end cable.

So it pretty much depends on how much you wish to spend. Quality connectors do make a difference, but you're better off putting a little more money into high-quality headphones, then upgrading the interconnect later. With higher quality phones, you'll have an improvement in audio quality with or without the amp.

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks a lot all, particularly trickywombat! My GoVibe came with a Canare/Neutrik mini-to-mini, so I'll have a look for a "pocket dock"-type thing.

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 11
Jun 7, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 11
The SendStation PocketDock with Line Out allows you to use USB or Firewire to power your iPod while you play. That's a good feature.

See ya
Steve

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 11
Hi,
I'm a user of the sendstation pocketdock usb + line out. The line out allows you to put a huge line out dock at the end it. I use it with my Iphone and it works great.

However, I am not too keen of the size, as I expected it to be the same thickness as my Iphone, but it was a bit bigger. Well, can't complain because it is probably because my Iphone is too thin. I reckon it would look just nice with a classic Ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back