Noob looking for a new pair of headphones
Sep 2, 2013 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Aegyo

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new pair of headphones (over ear or on ear) for the school year and would appreciate if someone could help me out. 

I will be using these for studying, watching movies, gaming etc. I will not be using these while on the go, only when I am stationary. They must be closed as I will be using them in the library as well as my room. I guess comfort would be the most important factor here as I will need to wear them hours at a time fairly often. I've never owned a pair of headphones (non earbuds) before so Im not sure how important durability will be (I will be carrying them with me in my bag).

My budget is up to $150 CAD.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 19
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Closed back headphones are good for the library.
Good for movies and gaming because they have a decent bass response and good 'slam'.
My friend has owned a set for quite a few years that he's chucked around in his bag - they look awful now, but they're still 100% functional. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new pair of headphones (over ear or on ear) for the school year and would appreciate if someone could help me out. 

I will be using these for studying, watching movies, gaming etc. I will not be using these while on the go, only when I am stationary. They must be closed as I will be using them in the library as well as my room. I guess comfort would be the most important factor here as I will need to wear them hours at a time fairly often. I've never owned a pair of headphones (non earbuds) before so Im not sure how important durability will be (I will be carrying them with me in my bag).

My budget is up to $150 CAD.

Thanks in advance!

What kinds of Music do you like?
In addition what kinds of Movies are you watching? 

Also what where some of the things you liked about your old iems sound wise? 

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 19
What kinds of Music do you like?
In addition what kinds of Movies are you watching? 

Also what where some of the things you liked about your old iems sound wise? 

Hello!

Indeed, answering those questions will help us a lot in finding the right pair for you!

+1 for ATH-M50. But you might also want to look into HD439 and UE4000 in case you do not find the ATH-M50 uncomfortable

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 19
oHello,

Sorry for the late response, there were some issues with my move in. I listen to mostly pop, blues, ballads, classic, and occasionally most other types. I watch all types of movies!
I always just used the stock earbuds that came with my mp3s and phones. There wasnt much variation but I liked how some were more comfortable. Im switching over to headphones as apparently I have sound induced hearing loss in one of my ears and peolle tell me headphones usually are easier on the ears. I guess i would like clarity so i can listen to music at low volume while hearing all the instruments.

I really am unsure though.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will def look into those!

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 19
oHello,

Sorry for the late response, there were some issues with my move in. I listen to mostly pop, blues, ballads, classic, and occasionally most other types. I watch all types of movies!
I always just used the stock earbuds that came with my mp3s and phones. There wasnt much variation but I liked how some were more comfortable. Im switching over to headphones as apparently I have sound induced hearing loss in one of my ears and peolle tell me headphones usually are easier on the ears. I guess i would like clarity so i can listen to music at low volume while hearing all the instruments.

I really am unsure though.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will def look into those!

GRADO!! I like them with the genre of music you listen to! They are easily driven and have decently low sensitive ( 98dB ). Awesome imaging, soundstage and clarity (at low volume) the only download side is that it's open so it will leak and the comfort but can be fixed with pads mod

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 19
Ultrasone Pro 550, plus they have detachable cord. 
Grado cable is annoying 
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 19
GRADO!! I like them with the genre of music you listen to! They are easily driven and have decently low sensitive ( 98dB ). Awesome imaging, soundstage and clarity (at low volume) the only download side is that it's open so it will leak and the comfort but can be fixed with pads mod

Im not sure whether you mean the pads mod fixes the comfort of the headphones or the sound leak (or both). Sound leaking is a big nono since i will be using these in the univ library quiet study area almost half the time :frowning2:

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Im not sure whether you mean the pads mod fixes the comfort of the headphones or the sound leak (or both). Sound leaking is a big nono since i will be using these in the univ library quiet study area almost half the time
frown.gif

honestly I used to use Beyer Dynamic Dt 880 at my schools Library... didn't get many complants about sound leakage... although I like quiter music 

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 19
honestly I used to use Beyer Dynamic Dt 880 at my schools Library... didn't get many complants about sound leakage... although I like quiter music 

+1! My sister always studies next to me on a table when my Grado is on, I asked her once if she heard anything from my headphone, she said nope! & that's why I am putting my IEM aside and use it only when on the to xD but yeah, I'm not a fan of loud music

Im not sure whether you mean the pads mod fixes the comfort of the headphones or the sound leak (or both). Sound leaking is a big nono since i will be using these in the univ library quiet study area almost half the time :frowning2:

Opps sorry! I mean the pad mod will help fix the comfort issue only. You can get a L-Pads from Grado but I am not sure how much difference it will make in terms of sound (althought I am guessing wont be huge) but comfort will surely improve! Cutting a hole in the stock pads will help as well, it will also make the sound cleaner with ted brighter sound.

If pads are still not enough, like what the Grado paper said (u can find it in the pizza box of Grado headphones), if the clamping force are too strong, you can always stretch the headband a little

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
Oops xD. I live in Ontario... 40 mins west of toronto

In Canada? Hmm I can ask a Canadian Head Fi'er [TrollDragon] if he knows of any head phone shops near you. I mean your in CANADA there is bound to be something near you. 

New discovery in my own personal audiophile life, so I'm sitting in programming today... we all start doing our work and "clickety clackkaty, clack, click click clickl clack ect... ect..." Ok wow 30 dudes all typing at once on these crappy loud keyboards... should drown out what EVER noise my headphones might leak honestly, in addition I also wonder if I'd want some isolation from that noise, although I wear my Dt 880s at home [but I use a nice smooth Cherry MX brown keyboard so I don't have as much of that dmn noise] still I think I'm going to keep my K550, as my orignal issue with not having an amp PWOERFUL enough to poer the dt 880 portably has been addressed with the purchase of the PB1 [and nessicary connectors] that little thing shoves 1.4mw into 32 ohms, which means it has 50% More power than a JDS Labs O2 and the E12... so YEA BOI I should have plenty o power [the Pb2 is even MORE EPIC]

So that said, the sale of my C5 just now $150, paid for the Pb1 and all the cables I needed for it AND left me with $50 left over... which is pretty cool 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back