Noob learning about output impedance.
Mar 29, 2022 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SoMuchLogins

New Head-Fier
I have iems that have impedance of 9.3 ohm. I want to get a dac/amp combo for it - Topping dx3 pro +.
On its spec sheet it says that it has output impedance of < 0.1 ohm, but later down the line it also says that its dac measurements are 20 ohm output impedance and Adapter impedance of 8 ohm.
My question is. What is the real output impedance of this device and why? Will it work with my phones?
I find this really confusing

Edit: Fixed my mistake

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 8
I have iems that have output impedance around 1ohm. I want to get a dac/amp combo for it - Topping dx3 pro +.
On its spec sheet it says that it has output impedance of < 0.1 ohm, but later down the line it also says that its dac measurements are 20 ohm output impedance and Adapter impedance of 8 ohm.
My question is. What is the real output impedance of this device and why? Will it work with my phones?
Something is amiss here
I have not seen iems with output impedance , they will have impedance but not 1ohm as that is effectively a short circuit
Looking at the Topping the output impedance of the amp section is <0.1 ohm
I think the 20 ohms for the dac section refers to the coax output so no need to worry about that
Adapter impedance I am assuming refers to a minimum headphone impedance of 8 ohms

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 8
Something is amiss here
I have not seen iems with output impedance , they will have impedance but not 1ohm as that is effectively a short circuit
Looking at the Topping the output impedance of the amp section is <0.1 ohm
I think the 20 ohms for the dac section refers to the coax output so no need to worry about that
Adapter impedance I am assuming refers to a minimum headphone impedance of 8 ohms
You are right, I messed something up. I dont know how this happened. What i meant to say is that i have iems with 9.3 ohm impedance.

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 8
I have iems that have impedance of 9.3 ohm. I want to get a dac/amp combo for it - Topping dx3 pro +.
My question is. What is the real output impedance of this device and why?

Headphone amplifier output impedance (front TRS jack) is <0.1ohm.

DAC line output (from the L-R RCA ports on the back) is 20ohm.

Will it work with my phones?

In terms of impedance, probably.

In terms of noise and gain, no way to tell unless somebody tested the same IEM on it and can tell you there's no noise nor does it go from "OK some music" to "OHMYGODTURNITDOWNTURNITDOWNTURNITDOWNTURNITDOWN!!!" with just 5deg of rotation on the dial. Nor even whether one channel will get to "OHMYGODTURNITDOWNTURNITDOWNTURNITDOWNTURNITDOWN!!!" long before the other does so even if you get it to a normal volume in one ear it'll barely be audible in the other, because analogue potentiometers tend to have some level of imbalance until about 9:00 on the dial. If the DX3 Pro has a fully digital potentiometer with a rotary control (whether it's like an A/V receiver or something like what you'd find on a Meier amp), then it's safer to assume it won't have imbalance issues.

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 8

Edit: Fixed my mistake
I'm not allowed to post a link, but according to ASR the DX3 Pro+ goes into protection mode with 'phones below 20ohms, making it incompatible with your IEMs.

Google "audiosciencereview topping DX3 Pro+" to see for yourself. Very positive review until the end when he talks about low impedance headphones.

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm not allowed to post a link, but according to ASR the DX3 Pro+ goes into protection mode with 'phones below 20ohms, making it incompatible with your IEMs.

Google "audiosciencereview topping DX3 Pro+" to see for yourself. Very positive review until the end when he talks about low impedance headphones.
Oh no...
Good to know tho because i was really close to buying it.
Well then my search for a desktop dac amp for this iems continue.
Thanks for the info.

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 8

Actually the DX3 Pro+ goes into protection mode at 20 ohms only when the power output exceeds approximately 2.5 Vrms. I am listening to my Mele IEMs with the DX3 Pro+ which is driving them just fine even though the impedance of the Mele is only 16 ohms. So in other words, protection mode engages only when the output current triggers protection mode, and not when the impedance of the attached headphones or IEMs is less than 20 ohms.

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Actually the DX3 Pro+ goes into protection mode at 20 ohms only when the power output exceeds approximately 2.5 Vrms. I am listening to my Mele IEMs with the DX3 Pro+ which is driving them just fine even though the impedance of the Mele is only 16 ohms. So in other words, protection mode engages only when the output current triggers protection mode, and not when the impedance of the attached headphones or IEMs is less than 20 ohms.
Good to know!
2.5V is a hell of a lot of voltage into an IEM! Heck, it's a lot of voltage into most headphones, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back