[Noob] Hi, should I buy DT-990 and a NX2? Or a NX1?
Mar 22, 2015 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

completeNoob

New Head-Fier
Hi, to start I'm going to say that I've been lurking these forums for a while not wanting to add to the "should I buy these" posts.

But since I got very little cash and I want to make the most of it, I would like to be as sure as I can be about my purchase.
I would like to buy some nice headphones for desktop use (at home) I'm trying to take my music (and gaming) experience to the next level.

I have my eye on the DT-990 which seem a nice price/performance deal, since I'm from Portugal and we don't actually sell proper headphones except for a strict few which are clearly overpriced.
I would buy them from Amazon, and for comparison I would have to pay 20€ more for the HD598, which seem to have a problem with the quality of the headband and offer a slightly worst sound (correct me if I'm wrong) and I also don't like it's looks, but that I could clearly live with.

Now comes the tough part, I believe it's standard to buy an amplifier for the DT-990 do to it's high impedance but I would have very little money left for the amplifier, so I've been looking at the NX1 which seems very well liked in these forums. But now TOPPING started selling the NX2 for 20 more bucks is it worth it? The DAC would be the inbuilt one from my Clevo W355SSQ.

Do you think that my choice of headphones and amplifier is in the right track?

Also I just found out that SainSonic is selling the NX1 for 27.99$ for the next 15 hours, but still I'm a bit indecisive since I've got nothing for comparison and don't know if I should get the DAC.

I tried to be thorough to give you the full picture sorry for the long post.

Thank you in advance.

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 20
I'm not familiar with the NX2 (haven't heard about it until now). But based on this thread, it looks like it is a very new model:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/757877/topping-nx2-portable-dac-amp-impressions-thread

You could ask there and see what they think. But might not be that anyone has any experience with the NX1 vs. the NX2 yet.

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 20
Yes, it's very recent, my doubt would be more about if I should wait to see how the NX2 pans out or if I should buy the NX1, because I wouldn't notice that much of an improvement on buying a DAC.

I'm wondering if only after a certain level of quality (regarding the headphones) is the improvement worth the extra cost, but since I won't be buying a anything new after this purchase for a good while it would be nice to know beforehand.

Thanks.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 20
Thanks, I looked around, and here they would be nearly three times the price I can the NX1 my budget won't stretch that far.

So if anyone has another idea about an amp or me needing or not the DAC I would be grateful.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 20
  Thanks, I looked around, and here they would be nearly three times the price I can the NX1 my budget won't stretch that far.

So if anyone has another idea about an amp or me needing or not the DAC I would be grateful.

Order the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (40-Ohm) open headphones (146 Euros) straight from Japan.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221501769482?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Even with whatever import tax you pay, it still a good value and will work decently plugged straight into the Clevo.
Later on you can always get a USB-DAC-amp, like the FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 20
Well, first of all thanks for the replies.

Now, I took a look at the AD-900X and they looked pretty great but the import taxes will turn them into a very expensive pair of headphones.
And the fact that I can't be certain of the price, post import tax, makes it impossible for me to take the risk.

I was aware of the DT-990 needing an amp, although I didn't know that the TOPPING NX1 (which I thought was pretty well liked here) wasn't going to be up for the task.
I knew it was a budget option but I thought it was an option nonetheless, do you guys think that there's another amp option that makes it worth keeping the beyers in mind?
Or should I let go of the DT-990 and go for the HD598? They're more expensive but only by 20€ at 149€ versus the 129€ for the beyers.
I chose the DTs since I heard they were the best for this money, but I might be completely wrong.

Thanks

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 20
Thanks, I'll contact Electric Avenues to see how much it would cost me to buy a Pocket Amp 2 – Version 2 (PA2V2) (with import tax), it seems to be up to the task, if it's too expensive I'll buy the HD598s.

The only question I have is about some people saying that the DT990s only sound good on non classical or jazz music for the quality of the recordings, because I mostly listen to rock, indie and some soundtracks not exactly the type of music I've seen people recommending for the beyers. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 20
  Thanks, I'll contact Electric Avenues to see how much it would cost me to buy a Pocket Amp 2 – Version 2 (PA2V2) (with import tax), it seems to be up to the task, if it's too expensive I'll buy the HD598s.

The only question I have is about some people saying that the DT990s only sound good on non classical or jazz music for the quality of the recordings, because I mostly listen to rock, indie and some soundtracks not exactly the type of music I've seen people recommending for the beyers. 

People saying they are bad for certain genres has their own opinion, and you have yours. Don't let others opinions decide what headphones you are gonna buy. It's all subjective. Some prefer v-shaped and some prefer balanced etc.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 20
People saying they are bad for certain genres has their own opinion, and you have yours. Don't let others opinions decide what headphones you are gonna buy. It's all subjective. Some prefer v-shaped and some prefer balanced etc.

Exactly. For many people, it's the headphone that is the preference to their listening tastes, not the headphone a match for the genre that is the important factor.

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks. Well I talked to Gary at Electric Avenues, I should be able to get the amp for about 60 euros.

So I'm down to two options, which do you guys think is best :

- The Beyers DT990 (135€) + PA2V2 (60€) : 195€ 

or

- The Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (160€) - I only spotted them now.

Where do you think that I get best sound? I'm only worried about the fit AD900X, I think they tend to sag a little.

I hope I'm not overstaying my welcome with this thread.

Thanks in advanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back