Noob help
Apr 7, 2017 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Intelanot27

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, total noob that needs some help with some clarification on a couple of items I can't seem to wrap my head around. For the last 7 years or so I've used Sennheiser HD590 headphones along with two pairs of iems,a Samsung and a pair of Shures both in the $200.00 range. I'm looking to step up my game but couple of things have always bothered me. 1,the fact that touching the wires or moving the headphones introduces noise, creaking and thumping. So are there headphones that are better at isolating movement from the wires or headband? I'd hate to spend big money ( let's just say more ) and not get better isolation with them.
2. I've read a lot about the different sound signatures with different headphones and can't understand why not get the flatest reference one and then eq it to how one prefers it?
Thanks for any help

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 3
1. There are headphones with more supple and flexible wires. Rigid wires tends to creat most "touch noise". Or IEMs with ear guides(wires going behind the ears) tend to have much less touch noise compared to IEMs that are worn straight down. Or of course, you could buy wireless headphones or IEMs.
2. Few reasons. EQs don't work quite that well. Firstly, digital EQ tends to introduce unwanted noise into the system. Secondly, it's hard to EQ properly. Most basic software EQs only allow you to edit certain frequency range, creating random dips/peaks in sound. Thirdly, if you want a lot of bass, it's hard to EQ the bass up and not have your headphones distort. Some drivers are just much more capable of moving air. Besides, many characteristics of a headphone(such as decay and distortion) can't be altered by EQs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back