noob help
Feb 21, 2007 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

maudit

New Head-Fier
Hello fellas, long time lurker, first time poster.
My altec Lansing AHP512 Cup headphones have just died on me, after 2 re-wires, 4 superglue incidentes, they just won't go anymore.
Anyway, been looking for some new headphones, streetstyle but can decide on these 3:
Igrado
Sennheiser pmx100
sennheiser pmx200

I've used the search feature and read several posts, but none of them helped me decided :S

I mainly listen to rock, like Audioslave, incubus, RATM, then some screamo around the lines of underoath, chasing victory, etc... However from time to time I do listen to classical music, I like piano concertos a lot.
I would use the phones for my everyday walk across the city, etc..
So what would my best choice be? Also durability is a big concern, sin I don´t buy new cans about a year or so.

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi! Its a good thing those things died on you 'cause you can now switch to cans which are MUCH better for your music and your ears!

The iGrado is the best soundwise I think. I heard it twice now in a store and compared it extensively with my px200. The sound is al lot better. However the px200 is much more practical. You can fold it and it comes with a nice protection box, and most importantly (for me) it doesn't leak a note! I can really listen to loud music without bothering anyone. For sure you can't do that with the iGrado and even less so with the px100. So soundwise the order is like this: iGrado, px100, px200. But looking at practical use it's the other way round.

I would go for the px200 personally, even though the other two sound better, it doesn't sound bad at all. All these three cans are pretty good for what they are, it's just the question of what you are going to use them for.

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 12
the PMXx00 do not fold (the earpads do swivel 90° for 'flat storage')

while I am certain that the iGrado and PMX100 sound better, you might want to consider the PMX200 just cause it is closed... open headphones are not suited for city use IMHO

why limit yourself to streetstyle? There are more closed options if you don't...

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 12
I recommend the folding PX100 - great sound for the price IMHO..I use them every day.
cool.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 12
the px 100, which i think is different from the pmx 100, get good grades here in head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
you should try them
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the PMXx00 do not fold (the earpads do swivel 90° for 'flat storage')

while I am certain that the iGrado and PMX100 sound better, you might want to consider the PMX200 just cause it is closed... open headphones are not suited for city use IMHO

why limit yourself to streetstyle? There are more closed options if you don't...

well, main limitation is price, the Igrado and PMX/PX are $50 or under

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 12
have u considered cheap canalphone/IEM things like the jvc marshmallow? (if they are too bassy, there are some mods to clear up more mids and highs)

~$20 or less

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronmtorres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the px 100, which i think is different from the pmx 100, get good grades here in head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
you should try them
smily_headphones1.gif

as to PXx00><PMXx00

different style/look etc, but same drivers/sound IF you can position them correctly on your ears

but I personally prefer: PX100 > PMX100 > PX200 > PMX200 as in my ears they represent: (decent SQ + comfort) > (decent SQ + streetstyle) > (comfort + isolation) > (isolation + streetstyle) and I definitely go for SQ and comfort over the other two (I use Sony D66SL when I want isolation AND SQ and I couldn't really care less about streetstyle
tongue.gif
)

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as to PXx00><PMXx00

different style/look etc, but same drivers/sound IF you can position them correctly on your ears

but I personally prefer: PX100 > PMX100 > PX200 > PMX200 as in my ears they represent: (decent SQ + comfort) > (decent SQ + streetstyle) > (comfort + isolation) > (isolation + streetstyle) and I definitely go for SQ and comfort over the other two (I use Sony D66SL when I want isolation AND SQ and I couldn't really care less about streetstyle
tongue.gif
)

Well if the PX0o0 sound the same as the PMX0o0, then PMX it is :p
Although I do agree with you most on confort, I do walk alot / mountain bike/ a hike here and there.
So "wearability" in this case IMO is won by streetstyles in terms of "active listening".

Many thanks for your input, in any case, you just set me back $41.12 @ amazon.:p
Also I couldn´t find an online retailer that still sold the Sony D66SL

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by maudit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if the PX0o0 sound the same as the PMX0o0, then PMX it is :p
Although I do agree with you most on confort, I do walk alot / mountain bike/ a hike here and there.
So "wearability" in this case IMO is won by streetstyles in terms of "active listening".

Many thanks for your input, in any case, you just set me back $41.12 @ amazon.:p
Also I couldn´t find an online retailer that still sold the Sony D66SL

well, it's head-fi... <$100 is considered pocket change here

but in any case... 'sorry about your wallet!'
very_evil_smiley.gif

about the D66SL's... they are out of production I've heard, but they do pop up here in the FS-forums from time to time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back