NooB help
Jul 2, 2002 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kwchoo81

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been reading around on headfi for a while and want to get a pair of headphones for less than $100. What's the best headphone out there for less than $100 . Right now I've got my eyes on the KSC-35 or Sony V6 /7506. Most importantly, it must run well without an amp. I will primarily listen to music from my soundcard (hercules Muse XL). My music mainly consists of classical/instrumental/new age music. I listen to other types of music as well (techno,rock).

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 12
Read through the threads found in the following link:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/search...earchid=144561

Just look at the threads with relevant titles like "best headphone for under $100, or help a newbie out!"

Do other new guys a favor by telling them to use the search feature instead of starting another thread exactly like this one. The button says "search" on it, you can find it on top right corner of the webpage, second one from the right, left of "home".

Jul 2, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 12
if i had a nickel for everytime a question like this has been asked...i would be rich! but if its a canadian nickel i'd be poor
frown.gif

Ya this has been asked a lot, although just a little less when it comes to use with a home based pc. Im thinking for his situation, the v6 might be best. The koss 35 would be great, but it will require an extention cord, and if his pc is relatively loud, it will not be good.

However, i use Grado sr60's with my pc, and they work great.

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 12
Yup, the search function is a good thing. Still, since I haven't answered a newbie question in awhile... If you need external sound isolation, definitely take the V6. If not, the warmer presentation of the KSC-35 tends to help hide the soundcard and audio file sound flaws. The Hercules is pretty decent as far as consumer soundcards go, but it's still a consumer soundcard. I'd probably go w/ the KSC-35, though the V6 is certainly a good choice as well.

Jul 3, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the advice. Appreciated very much. I initially expected ksc50 to be a good replacement for ksc-35, but the ksc50 is disappointing. too loose is the main problem.

Does the Sony V6 run well without an amp?

Thanks againfor the help!

Jul 3, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
EASY answer grado RS-80 ($95 new about $80 used) or RS-60 ($70 new about $50 used)

I take it you mean sr-60 and 80.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, both are fantastic.

OTOH, I prefer the ksc-35 over the v6.

Jul 3, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 12
you really cant fail with grados they are such an incredible value and youll hear details you never heard before with bad headphones. my friend (who is, or maybe was, not an audiophile) gave my Grado SR-60s a listen a few days ago and was blown away to say the least. He got a pair of SR-225s today just because of how much he was pleased. If you buy these and are dissapointed youre probably just about the first person in the world.

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 12
Depends on how noisy your 'computer room' is, I'd second (or third or whatever) the Grados. Especially for your given use (hooked to computer, mainly classical music) they would gick ass.

The 60 is a great all-rounder. A little lacking in bass but to be honest, adequate in that area for most needs.

If your computer room is noisy, the 7506 might be a better idea.

Jul 4, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
The Sennheiser 280 Pro.

I was wondering when someone was going to come out with that. For computer use, the HD280's are only OK. They need a decent HPA to bring them out properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back