Noob, Help requested: (closed/semiclosed-circumaural) V-moda, Audio-Technica, AKG, Portable Amp, etc..?
Feb 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ElJavi

New Head-Fier
Hi there, new to the forum but have been reading stuff here for years now and it’s amazing.

Now for the question: After tons of research, I have found myself to be overwhelmed and in need of some opinions. I am a poor college student, thus I am an aspiring audiophile-wannabe looking into dipping my toes into higher end gear.

My budget is thus around $100 for headphones. I am looking for over-the-ear (circumaural) phones that will be used on a plane for over 12 hours. Thus, I am looking for closed or semi-closed, little to no leakage if possible. (The reasons why I did not go for the Grado SR 80i) I will be using these on an iPod 5g hooked up with a line out adapter and a battery powered amp (still picking between the Zigis cMoy/iBasso T-3/PA2V2). Music I listen too literally varies from Flamenco/classical to Techno and everything in-between.

I am saving up for my dream set of Grado phones, but want something now to enjoy. Now I picked up a pair of V-Moda Crossfade LP at a local Radio Shack for $99, just because of the sale and how nice they look (I still have 2 weeks to return). However, they do leak a bit and are not the best in sound. I looked into other choices at this price range such as the AKG’s (K141, K240, etc), Sennheiser HD280 Pro, Audio-Technica ATH-WS55BK, and even some Beyerdynamics. Is it advisable to replace my v-modas for any other pair at this price range? Would there be a significant difference?

As of this point I am looking for headphones with punchy and tight bass, not necessarily a basshead, but since they are my entry levels, I would like to get these and keep them as my electro/rap-y/bass-y cans and get flatter ones for the rest of the “quality” music later. (I admit there is a lot of disposable garbage in my song list that I morbidly listen too, but who doesn’t)

So what do you guys/gals suggest? Any opinions on these options or any other options I should consider? I am open to opinions and willing to learn as much as possible from all of you. Also, any suggestion on the amps I am looking into? Maybe one that will pair up well with the crossfades if I decide to keep them? Also, other than the Sennheisers, I cannot test any other phones as there are no stores that carry them here.

Sorry for the long thread, I tend to over-specify things. Thanks for all of your help in advance.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 4
Add Fiio E11 to your portable amp list, around the same price with a great build finish
Slim as an iPod too

Go for AT (Audio Technica) ATH-M50 (coiled) for traveling
They block sound well for passive cancellation
In my experience they perform better than HD280
AKGs, the bass is lacking but is there

Search up M50s, you will see ALOT of post supporting it
Overall flat across the spectrum with a hump on the low and high end
Fold-able and built like a tank, you could drop it multiple times and it wont brake

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 4
Oooh, I totally forgot about the E11, good price too. The M50s are nice, but with that price tag ($160) I would have to let go of the amp. Is that advisable? Also, I see the cable connected to the cans is not detachable, could that become a problem latter on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back