Noob DAC Question
Sep 17, 2005 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheReds

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, i need a little help. I have a X5 and was thinking about getting a portable dac along with an amp sometime in the future. Now with DAC's i understand you send a digital signal to it so you bypass the internal dac on whatever the source, then from the dac output to your amp. My question is though, how would i get a digital signal from my X5 to the dac??? sorry if this is noobish.
biggrin.gif

also any recommendations on portable dac's? i know of the micro dac, but not really any others. Price range would be 400 at the ablosute most. It would also maybe be used for my computer setup as well.

Cheers!
eggosmile.gif

Sep 17, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 5
there are a fiew dacs that use a usb connector. otherwise, you need an spdif, or optical-digital connection to run a dac. if you dont have "native" wupport of either., there may be third party firmware (rockbox?) that allows your mp3 player to output the necessary info on the usb line.

either way, it comes HIGHLY reccomended. i LOVE my aos flute, the sound is nicer thant he sound from the archos av-3100 which is already very good.

Sep 17, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 5
nikongod, correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of any portable mp3 player that natively, or through a firmware upgrade, sends out a signal through its USB port that can be read by any DAC. Are you aware of any?

Best regards,

-Jason

Sep 18, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 5
Well i guess since i wont be upgrading my dap for awhile, im hoping the rockbox development for the X5 is coming along nicely! haha, that would be sweet though if they could allow us to output the signal through the usb port and into a dac!
eggosmile.gif
. Only time will tell. OH! OR! a custom sub-pack thingy, but made just for digital output. <<< does that make sense, lol. i thought i had an enlightening experience.
rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back