noob balanced headphone question
Jan 20, 2008 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jbeez

New Head-Fier
I can't quite grasp how this is useful, headphones will have +/- signal wire to each "speaker" in them, so how does this work when a set of cans has xlr connectors on the end that use 3 pins? I don't get where the 3rd pin goes.

Thanks

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 6
It doesn't. What was the ground for each channel of an SE config becomes the signal -. The 3rd pin of a 3-pin XLR is not connected to anything. That's another reason why I prefer 4-pin XLRs. Takes care of both channels nicely and less weight.
cool.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't. What was the ground for each channel of an SE config becomes the signal -. The 3rd pin of a 3-pin XLR is not connected to anything. That's another reason why I prefer 4-pin XLRs. Takes care of both channels nicely and less weight.
cool.gif

So if I understand that correctly, the cans with xlr connectors only have it to be able to tap into the signal and not to still keep a balanced signal once it hits the headphone wires? since theres no where to electrically connect that 3rd pin?

thx for the reply, makes me feel a little sane
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbeez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I understand that correctly, the cans with xlr connectors only have it to be able to tap into the signal and not to still keep a balanced signal once it hits the headphone wires? since theres no where to electrically connect that 3rd pin?

The signal is STILL balanced once it hits the headphone cable.

You only need 2 connections for a balanced driver: drive signal "in" and "out" of phase.

The third pin is a leftover from the "standard" created by headroom to use 2 3-pin xlr's (one for each channel) for headphones.

A single 4-pin works at lest equally well. i think better for most headphone apps. one connection to make on the face of the amp. if its dark you don't have to worry about messing up left and right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back