Noob audiophile on a quest
Aug 23, 2017 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Protek67

Head-Fier
Hello, thought I would introduce myself. About 10 years ago I got my first taste in hifi with my sennheiser hd465's and it blew my mind. About 6 years ago I started my HT system denon/klipsch and recently the bug has hit me again as I needed some speakers and headphones for my desktop. I just recieved my stereo amp and have an all tube headphone amp in the mail from china. I got a pair of Blue lola's and love them and think I'm gonna need a pair of high impedance headphones next. Pretty much everything I've done recently has been knee jerk reactions with little research as I am easily overwhelmed trying to find what I'm looking for. So I'm here to make my next purchase a thought out one.

My audio device's
sennheiser hd465 (cable is faulty since digging them out recently)
Denon 1712 Klipsch VF-36 filled out to 5.1
sennheiser gaming one headset
audio source amp100vs + polk audio tsi100 (not a fan)
blue lola's

and on the way is a Nobsound Littlebear P7 for a preamp and headphone amp.

I have decided that hifi is my new hobby so I wanted to get involved in a community.

Aug 24, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 10
Sounds like you're not really sure what you want next, you just know that you're having fun doing it :)
What do you like from the headphones you own that you feel is missing? or do you just feel you need to try out more things to get a broader feel for what's available?

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 10
Hello, thought I would introduce myself.
I have decided that hifi is my new hobby so I wanted to get involved in a community.
Since your input on what you want is a bit vague, i figured you're searching for headphones.
When starting this as a hobby and not just wanting a good headphone and be done, i think starting with the "know great" basics is the way to go.
- HD600/650
- K701
- HE400i/s
- Grado *
- DT990
All of those are "entry level" head-fi, very different in sound signature and know great drivers. None have major flaws. They are great to find what osund signature you're into. Everything beyond this pricepoint gets you only incremental improvements (apart from electrostats...).

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 10
long: just throwing thought's out. In short I want to experience something new and don't know how to do that.

edit: I am looking for different flavors of sound, not studio or reference I want some color. Also I want open backed over ear. (not necessarily colored sound, I just want new and different experiences, what ever is needed for that) Also these will be used on my computer, so in general it will be for listening to music while I game or for music sessions. The music I listen to is a lot of electronica. Bliss, Odezsa, Blackmill, Alison wonder land yellow claw. I don't have access to lossless right now, just streaming services but I plan on looking for lossless when possible. All digital. Just signed up for tidal, forgot they even existed lol. Aaaand just ordered some CD's, noticed that some vinyl is available on amazon by people I like. Might have to look into adding that to one of my systems.

I was looking at the HD650 and the DT990 previously but not set on them at all. I saw a review of the DT990 and it said the mid's aren't real strong, I'm not a huge fan of mid's but think I'd like to experience it. I was wondering if they would sound nice with the tube amp I have in the mail or should I start with something with natural mids? I've never experienced a tube amp or pre-amp so i'm not really sure what to expect.

Since I already have the klipsch HT I want something with a different feel, it is a bright speaker with good bass but I'd say the mid's aren't the strong point. The polk audio's were supposed to be towards the mid's but they just sound hollow, maybe I need to break them in. The lola's are crisp with good bass.

But yeah I don't know what I'm looking for and I am rather vague. I'll have to look into the list you made, I ran across a couple of them but wasn't sure what to land on.

Is there merit to finding a pair of headphones with 200-300ohms? My headphone amp is supposed to work well in that range, or should I not focus on the ohms as much?

On Saturday's I have my blind friend over and he uses one of my computers, we used to do music sessions on my denon and I'd like to do something like that again but this time let him use my lola's and I'd have another set. Right now I'm exploring Tidal and forgot how much I like listening to music.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 10
The HD650 is something that should be experienced at least once by anyone who thinks they're serious about music and enjoying music through headphones.
I think it represents the perfect middle-ground of subjectivity in tonal balance, while being extremely light and comfortable.
At the start of my headphone journey I dismissed it as 'boring' as I was very much into the coloured and agressive sound of Grados.
Years later I now own it and it is my reference headphone for tonality.

The merit to headphones with higher resistance 300+ ohms is that they have a higher damping factor.
This means that the driver is less likely to move and respond to the analogue signal in ways that it shouldn't, which in turn reduces distortion.

Aug 25, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 10
The HD650 is something that should be experienced at least once by anyone who thinks they're serious about music and enjoying music through headphones.
I think it represents the perfect middle-ground of subjectivity in tonal balance, while being extremely light and comfortable.
At the start of my headphone journey I dismissed it as 'boring' as I was very much into the coloured and agressive sound of Grados.
Years later I now own it and it is my reference headphone for tonality.

The merit to headphones with higher resistance 300+ ohms is that they have a higher damping factor.
This means that the driver is less likely to move and respond to the analogue signal in ways that it shouldn't, which in turn reduces distortion.
I can vote for that too. I have my HD600 for a month now. It totally changed how i hear my other cans (mainly beyers). Plus it redifined Comfort for me. I thought the DT770 was comfortable. Man was i wrong.
Especially at the used prices this is my first recommendation for anyone starting to get into better audio in general.

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 10
Just got the little bear p7 in the mail today and got instantly sucked into a listening session on Tidal. I'm listening to music I don't normally hear and loving it. Just wish tidal would stop cutting out, not sure what the problem is. I was going to get those sennheiser's but decided I need to upgrade my AVR first.

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Well the 650's are a very good headphone and probably would respond well to that amp but I'm sure they will be around for quite a while longer so no worries. I'm a Tidal user also and just have noticed this in just the last week or so of a few cutouts. I have never had this do it before and I've had Tidal for well over a year now not sure what's going on with that.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 10
Thank you for the response, I cancelled my tidal account after the first day of cut out's because that's just not a listening session. I was planning on putting that money towards my personal cd collection however after getting this amp today I dove into music I have never heard before and loved every minute of it. I'm pretty sure tidal is the way to go from here on out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back