Noob Alert Nuforce Icon 2 as a DAC only
Nov 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Torontoraccoon

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I found my Icon 2 that I have not been using for some time now, I am curious can it be used as a DAC only? 

I want to use it with my Mac and a amp. So Mac -> Icon2 -> Amp.

Is that possible? I know its a stupid question =(

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Yes, but it's a 3.5mm jack, so you will need to get a stereo 3.5mm -> stereo RCA (assuming that's the connection on the amp you're using and  usually is 99% of the time in home audio).

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Yes, but it's a 3.5mm jack, so you will need to get a stereo 3.5mm -> stereo RCA (assuming that's the connection on the amp you're using and  usually is 99% of the time in home audio).

You do not need a 3.5mm cable. The nuforce Icon 2 has a pair of RCA output on the back which would bypass the amp. So all you would need is a RCA able to connect the Icon 2 to your amp.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 10
The set of RCAs on the back are an input.  The only line out is 3.5mm.

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
You do not need a 3.5mm cable. The nuforce Icon 2 has a pair of RCA output on the back which would bypass the amp. So all you would need is a RCA able to connect the Icon 2 to your amp.

Guess I am wrong My bad 
redface.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 10
Icon 2 and Icon uDAC-2 are two different products.  Icon 2 is a DAC/integrated amp/headphone amp combo targeted toward full size speakers.  The Icon uDAC-2 is a DAC/headphone amp combo.  If we're discussing the Icon uDAC-2, then yes, the RCAs are outputs.  If we're discussing the Icon 2, the RCAs are inputs.  
wink.gif

The DAC section of the HDP for the money is pretty good.  I did, however, find that it has its best synergy with the built in headphone amp (but I suppose that would be expected).  Then again, the only separate headphone amp I've tried it with is Little Dot MKIII, and I didn't think it was the best match.  That said, I think the amp and phones you're using it with will ultimately decide your end result...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back