"NooB alert" advice on certain pimeta stuff
Mar 4, 2005 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

k00gar

New Head-Fier
Hi im just about to order a couple of Tangent flavour pimeta boards /ELNA and WIMA caps one for me and one for a friend with some HD650s but wanted some advice

1) will the builds using ref specs (tangents) power HD650s well both will be wall powered or are there tweaks needed

2)are 1/4 watt resistors the biggest that will fit the board i ask this cos the Tantalums ive seen seem to only come in 1/2w or more (would there be any real gain using them)

3)which opamps would be a pin for pin replacement for the ones in the spec this means not changing Tangents circuit ref components values also.

4)how many of you with pimetas use an input cap and wot value do u recommend

5) why is there no protection against blowing the buffers when the headphones are pulled.

i have a pair of hd500's and quiet like them yet i have never heard a mention of them in the forums is this due to them not being well regarded ?

thanks in advance for the advice

best regards

K00g

Mar 4, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by k00gar
1) will the builds using ref specs (tangents) power HD650s well both will be wall powered or are there tweaks needed

Yes.

Quote:

2)are 1/4 watt resistors the biggest that will fit the board i ask this cos the Tantalums ive seen seem to only come in 1/2w or more (would there be any real gain using them)

That depends on the lead spacing of said resistors.
As far as if there is any "real gain" to using tantalum resistors..... some... but not worth the price.
wink.gif

Quote:

3)which opamps would be a pin for pin replacement for the ones in the spec this means not changing Tangents circuit ref components values also.

Funny question.
biggrin.gif

I would suggest the 8066/8065 with the HD650s.
wink.gif

Quote:

4)how many of you with pimetas use an input cap and wot value do u recommend.

Wot???????
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/input-cap.html

Quote:

5) why is there no protection against blowing the buffers when the headphones are pulled.

There is.

Quote:

i have a pair of hd500's and quiet like them yet i have never heard a mention of them in the forums is this due to them not being well regarded ?

Sounds about right.

Mar 4, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 6
thanks for replying MrX

i was going to go with the AD8610AR/AD8620AR on browndogs so u think the
8066/8065 would be a better choice.

k00g

Mar 4, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Personal preference
smily_headphones1.gif

I am not big fan of the Burr Brown opamps so....
I find the 8620/8610 combo to be to bright with my HD650's
The "problem" with 8066/8065 combo is they are to revealing and they can make listening to MP3s a real adventure.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back