Noob Advice... Home setup...
Dec 11, 2008 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SoliloCey

100+ Head-Fier
Just as per curious, since I have some cash laying about what would be the best home system, or the best setup I could do for around $4000-$5000.

I'm planning setting up in a room thats roughly 4 meters by 3 meters (13'4" by 10')

I was thinking purchasing studio equipment like a crown amplifier, and then some KRK's along with some other audio equipment like Genelecs. Though is that the way to go?

I also came across on ebay this company that makes sound systems for a decent price(probably means low quality). So what would you reccomend for $4k?

thanks.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 12
I'll assume Stereo sound?

Anyways, which KRKs? Rokits are not really hifi by any stretch, though vxts are 'okay'. The exposes, however, which will run about ~2-3 each probably rival speakers such as the BW Signature Diamond series (very similar speakers, actually).

Also, KRKs as well as many studio monitors are active speakers, meaning that they are self amplified. Some people like this, though from what I can gather, this is looked down upon in the hifi community. Also, KRKs are 2-way speakers and seem to have a very small sound stage to my ears.

for 4k, I think you could get a nice pair of used speakers and a decent used amp or new NAD amp. What sources do you have? Looking into getting?

moar details please!

edit: that's a small room. hmmm...

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your nationality is?

British living in Australia...

Quote:

Originally Posted by numberoneoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll assume Stereo sound?

Anyways, which KRKs? Rokits are not really hifi by any stretch, though vxts are 'okay'. The exposes, however, which will run about ~2-3 each probably rival speakers such as the BW Signature Diamond series (very similar speakers, actually).

Also, KRKs as well as many studio monitors are active speakers, meaning that they are self amplified. Some people like this, though from what I can gather, this is looked down upon in the hifi community. Also, KRKs are 2-way speakers and seem to have a very small sound stage to my ears.

for 4k, I think you could get a nice pair of used speakers and a decent used amp or new NAD amp. What sources do you have? Looking into getting?

moar details please!

edit: that's a small room. hmmm...

Yes its a small room, all I have for now... I'm trying to stash some other funds and increase my income to move to an apartment when the time is right...

Yeah Im actually aware of Passive and Active believe it or not lol. Well I can't give you much details, maybe an idea of what I had in mind. I have listened to all the home theater packages around nd for around $1000+ rather disappointing, I was more impressed by the Alessandro MS-Pro's then the Sony's, LG, Panasonic theater's and what not.

Im not looking for just a set of speakers and an amp for that kinda money... But more along the lines of hmmm... 2-4 bookshelf, and 2 floorstands, and a reciever/amplifier. Im not to sure about turntables, they sound like a fantastic idea, and a classy finish, but is it worth getting a turntable, I hardly use analogue...
If theres a sound difference then yeah, I'd be up for it...

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 12
How long are you planning on living at your current residence? Home theater equipent can have absolutely awful resale value.

I would suggest not spending $4000 on a surround sound system unless there are no movie theathers within 100 km of where you live. You can buy lots of movie tickes for $4000.

Audiofiles like tweaking their equipment to get the sound they like. With active speakers you only have one choice of amplifier. Having the speaker and amplifier in the same housing makes the unit noticably heavier too.

The only way to know what you will like in your room is to audition the equipment in your home. I've owned Genelecs; I thought they were a bit polite up top but there weren't any serious flaws that come to mind.

I'm currently using Paradigm Reference monitors hooked up to my DA10. I would rate them better than my ATH-A900LTD but not as good as STAX with an aftermaket amp.

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 12
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by numberoneoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending.
biggrin.gif

not at all, you didnt sound condescending, but i would have liked much more info, i have found places that sell Denon receivers, Dali, and wharfdale, as well as jensen speakers, and i have seen an onkyo receiver at another hi-fi store

so i don't know, is Dali any good, im assuming danish speakers should be good? I know someone with jensens and they sound all right but i was hoping for something with a little more sound and bass... i think.

also is a receiver just like an amplifier? Are denon receivers any good? thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long are you planning on living at your current residence? Home theater equipent can have absolutely awful resale value.

I would suggest not spending $4000 on a surround sound system unless there are no movie theathers within 100 km of where you live. You can buy lots of movie tickes for $4000.

I'm currently using Paradigm Reference monitors hooked up to my DA10. I would rate them better than my ATH-A900LTD but not as good as STAX with an aftermaket amp.

hmmm I think i'll be staying here for 2 more years, till me and my girlfriend find a place we like and can afford. And that her parents will let her move out...

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 12
I think the more expensive Dali speakers are nice, if a bit pricey. The Ikon series was disappointing to me. The Mentor series in more refined in the highs and has fuller bass. I haven't tried anything beyond the Mentors.

A power amp amplifies an analog signal (and usually lacks a volume control).

A pre-amp lets you control the strength of the signal being sent to the power amp.

A pre/pro (AV processor) is a multi-channel pre-amp with surround sound decoding, DAC, and video switching.

An integrated amplifier is a pre-amp and power amp in the same box.

A stereo receiver is an integrated amp with a radio tuner.

An AV receiver is a multi-channel integrated amp with surround sound decoding, DAC, radio tuner and video switching.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 12
right... i was going to ask because turntables have become somewhat more appealing is there a way to convert mp3's to vinyl? or am i being stupid here?

so if i list say a:-

Denon Receiver
Turntable
JVL/Jensen speakers (around 600-1000 watts

- jensen has 2 floorstands and 2 bookshelfs with a 160WRMS sub
would that roughly work

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right... i was going to ask because turntables have become somewhat more appealing is there a way to convert mp3's to vinyl? or am i being stupid here?

Yeah, you could buy one of the machines that they use to make vinyl masters... I'm guessing it's going to go outside your budget, however
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 12
Converting vinyl to MP3 is relatively easy.

Converting MP3 to vinyl is noticeably more difficult. It'll require an outlay of at least ten times your budget, plus a trained staff.

Are you dead set on surround sound? Are there other things in the room you need to consider when you're placing speakers?

Your question is quite a big one, to say the least. One thing to keep in mind is that buying any hifi product based on brand is a bad idea. You need specific model numbers, as every company (with few exceptions) makes some good stuff and some absolute crap.

At your budget, there are quite a few options. Are you looking to purchase new? used? a Television as well as speakers and such? Dvd? Blu-ray? Playing files off a computer you already have? New computer?

As you can see, there are a lot of questions here. Be as specific as you can.

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Converting vinyl to MP3 is relatively easy.

Converting MP3 to vinyl is noticeably more difficult. It'll require an outlay of at least ten times your budget, plus a trained staff.

Are you dead set on surround sound? Are there other things in the room you need to consider when you're placing speakers?

Your question is quite a big one, to say the least. One thing to keep in mind is that buying any hifi product based on brand is a bad idea. You need specific model numbers, as every company (with few exceptions) makes some good stuff and some absolute crap.

At your budget, there are quite a few options. Are you looking to purchase new? used? a Television as well as speakers and such? Dvd? Blu-ray? Playing files off a computer you already have? New computer?

As you can see, there are a lot of questions here. Be as specific as you can.

thanks for that bit of info, yes Im aware that just because its from a brand name doesn't mean its good, Im just listing possible names around my area. I guess i should be more precise on the model.

looking at new, very rare to find decent used items here. TV is all done and sorted, I would consider DVD, blu-ray i don't know, this is more for audio then video. probably playing files off the computer, though i doubt i'd connect it, and just use DVDs, and CDs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back