Non vinyl LP's
Oct 18, 2003 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ebonyks

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone ever come across something like this? (and i'm not talking about those fancy gold records). I bought a promise ring LP (30 degrees everywhere), and while it's beautful (A marbled grey pattern), i'm begining to doubt that it's really vinyl. It sounds awful (The recording was bad, but it seems beyond that), and i heard a very loud scraping noise as soon as i removed my etys, which scared the hell out of me. After getting my nerve back, i put it back on, and realized quickly that the scraping noise is acually the music (Albiet in a quiet, non RIAA equalized way).

The record itself feels kinda like plastic, smoother than vinyl.

Anyone else ever come across something like this, or can confirm/deny that this is acually not vinyl?

Oct 19, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 2
about five years ago, at the Bristol Hifi Show here in the UK a turntable maufacturer (can't recall the name) cut an LP onto an old Laserdisc for a gimmick. Many people at the time were scornfull of the fact that the manufacturers and press were singing the praises and predicting a vinyl comeback so this laserdisc gimmick was their ironic way of getting one up on the naysayers.

From the reports in the hifi press at the time, the resulting sound was really surprisingly good and a few people had to eat their words.

Also, I have seen a few punk singles from the late 70's that were cut onto coloured vinyl. Colours such as vomit green, dayglo orange and grey slate/marble were commonplace. It's funny to think that around 95% of punk singles are on coloured vinyl and the remainder on standard black. The black punk singles are really collectible now for their scarcity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back