Non-USB Amp, USB DAC: Can it be done?
Jul 25, 2006 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. Just wanted to know if you can use something which accepts USB input and has its own DAC (in this case the HeadRoom Total BitHead) but bypass its amplifier section and use a separate amplifier. I am talking about one of the more high-end, amplifier-only (no DAC) amps which have, for example, only RCA inputs.

Can that be done? If so, how would you connect it all up?

Cheers,
X

Jul 25, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 8
let me try to understand your questions. So you have totalbithead and want to use it as your usb-dac and then hook it into other beefier amp?
i don't see why not. although not the best practice, but use the headphone out and use splitter to rca to connect to other amp.

Jul 25, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelda
let me try to understand your questions. So you have totalbithead and want to use it as your usb-dac and then hook it into other beefier amp?
i don't see why not. although not the best practice, but use the headphone out and use splitter to rca to connect to other amp.

I think he wants to bypass the Bithead's amp... does your idea accomplish that?

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Do you already have the BitHead? If you're not constrained by already owning the equipment then you have multiple options. For example, HeadRoom sells the Micro DAC for about $250 that will do the conversion and no amping.

If you already have the Bithead, you would probably have to open it up and solder in some connections to bypass the amp circuitry. Not suggested for the faint of heart.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Although this may not pertain to you, in another thread a while back someone was asking about using the Bithead's dac with the Micro Amp. A headroom guy said there wasn't a whole lot of improvement in doing it that way, as the bithead amp wasn't incredibly better than the micro amp. He said there would definitely be the biggest improvement doing it the other way - hooking up the Micro DAC to the bithead for amplification.

If I remember right the guy who wrote the thread tried it anyways and agreed that bithead dac -> micro amp not only didn't sound better, it sounded worse. I think he swapped components and liked the micro dac -> bithead amp better.

Of course, this is all from memory, and it's entirely possible this is completely irrelevant to your particular situation. Just thought I'd give it a shot.

Jul 26, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 8
Hi there. Thanks for the info guys. I do indeed have the BitHead already. I recently needed to liquidate my primary listening system and that started my journey into high-end headphones. Since the liquidation included my source, I know use only my PC with lossless files so thus I need a USB DAC (only have a crumby on-board sound card). I guess I would look into a complete USB DAC/amp when the time comes as I read that thread from a while ago regarding using the BH as a preamp and it seems to be a no-go.

Cheers,
X

Jul 26, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 8
you can get an m-audio audiophie usb or transit and conncect usb to your comp and connect line out to your amp

you can get an m-audio audiophie usb or transit and connect usb to your comp and digital out to a better DAC (benchmark dac1, zhaolu etc)

you can get an apogee minidac connect to your usb and connect line out to your amp.

bottom line, possible lots of options. i did the second one myself as it allows me to upgrade the dac easily.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 8
I don't know what your budget is, but I think you'd get the most bang for your buck if you invest in a standalone DAC and then use the bithead as your amp until you have the $ for a better amp. With computer audio, I am a strong believer that the DAC is more important than the Amp.

I don't know from personal experience which USB DAC's are better than the Total Bithead's Dac, however, short of the MicroDac. I do know the MicroDac is far superior to the Dac in the Total Bithead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back