non-TOTL CIEM recommendation
Aug 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sonichaos

New Head-Fier
Recently, I started a thread about sub-$400 closed back headphones. I purchased the PSB M4U1s, but noticed that they weren't quite right.
First, the earcup was too small. I'm talking millimeters here. My hope is that customs will be able to fit my larger ears. Though the PSBs overall provided very good SQ, my constant fidgeting to get the fit right made it impossible to fully enjoy my experience.
Second, the mids on the PSBs weren't transparent enough for my taste. I want singers to sound more like singers, and less like headphones trying to sing.
Third, I would like something extremely portable. Preferably something I can fit in my pocket. I want these headphones to be something that I take with me everywhere, and not something I only take if I have room. (as a university student who already fills his bag with textbooks, the size difference between a full size carrying case and a CIEM case is important.)

Also, detachable cables are a must. I would hope to use these while working out, so I want them to be durable as well.

So, my question is: can I get a CIEM to meet all of these requirements without leaving the price range? Or is any CIEM going to sound worse than a headphone of the same price? I've never had CIEMs before (only IEMs) so I don't know much about them.

As far as sound preferences go, I like crystal clear mids in a balanced spectrum. if the UERMs were in this price range, I'd hesitate to get them because I'd prefer a slightly warmer sound than complete neutrality. I'm not a basshead, but I definitely want these to be bass-capable. (even if it requires EQing)

The list for contenders is as follows:
Cosmic Ears BA3/HY3
Heir 3.A
JH5
Etymotic hf5

Also, what DAC/Amp would work the best for IEMs?

P.S. I live in Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

Back