Non portable use of ETY-4S/Ps
Dec 9, 2004 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Juergen

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone use ETY-4S/Ps with their home rig? Most of the threads that I read seem to talk about portable use for these. Do they stand up against full size phones? I just ordered a pair of 4S's and plan on using them portably but I'm curious how they will sound on my home rig compared to my HD600's. This is a Christmas present for me from my wife (I just told her yesterday after I ordered them
tongue.gif
) so I wont be able to listen to them till then.

Dec 9, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 14
I use the 4s at home with a cosmic reference all the time. They sound great with a good source and a good amp.

I just got 650s yesterday, so I can’t yet give a detailed description of how the Etys compare. Briefly, the Etys are not as full sounding as the 650. Everything is there in the Etys. It may even be easier to hear instruments distinctly, but there is really no soundstage. The Etys sound very clean, but thin to me. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the cleanness of the sound. The Etys may also sound slightly brighter or less veiled depending on how you look at it.

Etys sound much better than Grado SR-60s, but again not as full. I listen to the Grados with poorly recorded albums.

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 14
do you have an amp? the er4s is 100ohms, they apparently don't sound their best without sufficient power (i have the P, so i can't speak to this directly).

edit: nevermind, i reread and see that you have the hd600, so you most likely have an amp.
etysmile.gif

also, the unbraided cord on the S is apparently much more microphonic.

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 14
I think people should definitely try to experience both 4P and 4S before making the choice. That means it might be better to buy the 4P b/c there are ways to change to 4S if that's your preference.

Even with more than adequate power (SuperMacro), I prefer the sound of 4P over 4S, even with bass boost on. 4P's midrange/lower midrange sounds richer, fuller, breathier, and more lively.

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 14
I use ther Er-4s for both portable and home usage. I quite like the sound and vastly perfer the S to the P. However, they don't seem to be doing it for me for all types of music, so I'm looking towards getting a rock phone.

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 14
I have used Ety 4S phones almost exclusively for home/office use. I mod the foamies to give a fuller richer sound.

I do have a pair of unopened Senn HD650s in a box in front of me but I am waiting until Christmas to open them. Oh the torture. When my Zu Mobius cable arrives, it will be even more so..... Anyway, I think Etys are fabulous for home use.

dshea

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
I have used Ety 4S phones almost exclusively for home/office use. I mod the foamies to give a fuller richer sound.

I do have a pair of unopened Senn HD650s in a box in front of me but I am waiting until Christmas to open them. Oh the torture. When my Zu Mobius cable arrives, it will be even more so..... Anyway, I think Etys are fabulous for home use.

dshea

You might change you mind once you listen to hd650 with the Zu cable. The etys never sounded as good after. I even upgraded to the sensaphonics and still prefer the hd650/zu for a lot of my music for home use.

Dec 10, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 14
I figured they would be a major upgrade. Plus, the wife and daughter can now get my attention without scaring the hell out of me when they tap me on the shoulder.

I have been told the modded foamies come a bit closer to the Senn quality, but you would think for the nearly $600 cost of the HD650 and Zu cable, they better well stomp all over the Etys. I am psyched.

Cheers,
dshea

Dec 10, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 14
I have the 4ps but I use them almost exclusively for portable use. I did, however, use them one night when I didn't want to make noise in the headphone jack of my dvd player. The results were less than satisfactory. Although they are fine for use with my ipod, they really sucked when watching the movie. Speech in particular sounded very abnormal. Other sounds such as cars, explosions, etc. also sounded very distorted. I don't know how this would translate to a full home rig with pre-amp and amp, but that was my experience.

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
edit: nevermind, i reread and see that you have the hd600, so you most likely have an amp.
etysmile.gif

Yep, I recently built a PPA. I was hoping to get a diamond buffer but Larocco Audio seems to have vanished
frown.gif
(temporarily I',m sure), so I decided to treat myself to the ETY's. In portable use I will be driving them with my Mint amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
I do have a pair of unopened Senn HD650s in a box in front of me but I am waiting until Christmas to open them. Oh the torture. When my Zu Mobius cable arrives, it will be even more so.....[/i]

I know what you mean. They arrived today but I will have to wait....must...stay...in..control.... I have the Zu also, terrific upgrade (also the most $ I have ever spent on a cable
tongue.gif
)

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 14
By my bed I have a DVD player, hooked up to the Moretto HAP 3 amp with Ety 4S. I listen mostly to classical music without bothering my sleeping wife! It's great.

Dec 10, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

I did, however, use them one night when I didn't want to make noise in the headphone jack of my dvd player. The results were less than satisfactory. Although they are fine for use with my ipod, they really sucked when watching the movie.

Etys are not the right headphones for movies or games, but the 4s are great for listening to music with a good amp. Etys do not have the bass or fullness required for a movie, but this has little to do with their musical ability. The same thing is true in the speaker world. Movies require a different presentation than music.

I do not want it to sound like I am sitting on stage in the middle of the band when listening to music, but this is the type of presentation that is best for movies.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
Yep, I recently built a PPA. I was hoping to get a diamond buffer but Larocco Audio seems to have vanished
frown.gif
(temporarily I',m sure),

The website is still up: http://laroccoaudio.net/productsservices.html

Diamond buffer is really nice. I takes most of the harshness are of the etys. Even with the PPA w/diamond buffer and bass boost, the etys will never sound as full of the hd650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back