Non-oversampling non-digital filtered DAC.
May 9, 2004 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

IpsilonSound

100+ Head-Fier
I plan to build a simple DAC using Mr. Kusunoki approach http://www.sakurasystems.com/articles/Kusunoki.html
It can be used as an line input for my PPA or a standalone unit.

The DAC chip is going to be either TDA1541 or TDA1543(less smoth, needs 2 or 4 for better dynamics). The SPDIF from the transport is fed to a common CS8412.

Anyone can share experiences with how it sounds vs to conventional 1bit filtered over-sampled DACs, any issues, etc.

thanks

May 9, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 25
I'm going to try building a non-oversampling type DAC too, though mine's going to be a bit different from yours. Either way, give diyaudio a visit and make sure to post your progress here. ^_^

May 9, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 25
if you prefer the relaxed sound of vinyl you will like the sound of a simple 1X OS DAC

The Phillips chips sound nice and the interface from the receiver chip is comparitively easy though i personally prefer the older AD chips such as the AD1865 which i use in my DAC .

you might also consider the output stage topology and power supplies

both have major bearing on the final sound output , even more so than whether you use a digital filter or not

as for "piggybacking " the dac chips i suggest you try a single chip first . You can always add more at a later time (if the power supply supports the extra current draw) so you can decide for yourself which is better

I like one but there are mixed opinions as to which is preferred-not a one size fits all thing

May 10, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 25
I love my Scott Nixon TubeDAC kit... it's so analog sounding, the PRaT characteristics are very live sounding. It's got excellent bass, and the dynamics help to make it sound like real music, much less digital harshness. I put in CDs that were made from MP3, and it works some magic on them!

May 11, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 25
I'd like to hear the DAC with Tube amp sound too. May be a good match with PPA, I think.

I sent an email to Scott the other day about the DACKit but haven't heard back from him yet.

Yes, lots of info about these DACs on diyaudio website.

May 11, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 25
I'd like to hear the DAC with Tube amp sound too. May be a good match with PPA, I think.

Yeah, many people report that AD1865 sounds better than TDA chips, but I don't think it's practical to create AD1865-based DAC to fit inside the portabe PPA. That's why I will stay with TDA for now and see how it goes... AudioNote uses AD1865 and their prices soar up to 30k
eek.gif
that proves the demand for non-oversampling non-filtered dacs, right?

I sent an email to Scott the other day about the DACKit but haven't heard back from him yet.

Yes, lots of info about these DACs on diyaudio website.

May 17, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
if you prefer the relaxed sound of vinyl you will like the sound of a simple 1X OS DAC

The Phillips chips sound nice and the interface from the receiver chip is comparitively easy though i personally prefer the older AD chips such as the AD1865 which i use in my DAC .

rickcr42, where did you get AD1865 chip? It's been discontinued and I cannot find it anywhere really.
After my TDA1543 prototype is finished, I would like to compare its sound with AD1865. The schematics that I found use the tube stage for output gain, but AD8620 can also be used, I suppose.
How would you describe the sound of AD1865 compared with Philips chip?

Thanks

May 17, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpsilonSound
http://www.sakurasystems.com/articles/Kusunoki.html

This article seems a little questionable to me. The most obvious being the multiple-speaker-delay vs. FIR filter comparison. Secondly, the two jitters (the original + the added 'upsampling jitter') do not add if the DAC also reclocks the data (which most up/over sampling DACs do.)

May 17, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 25
May 17, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 25
May 19, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 25
Nice setup, mdlover... I've seen your post awhile ago at diyaudio.

This is exactly what I'm going to do, my TDA1543 order should be knocking at my door anytime soon. I ordered CS8414 and BrownDog adapter to solder it on. Actually, I decided to use 3 separate power supplies with LM7805CT/LM7808CT, not the TL431 ones. Just need to find the right transformer for 16-24V with 3 outputs.

Glad you like the sound. How do you find the treble, not too soft? I found a fix for it, let me know if you want to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back