Non overly analytical high impedance headphones
Sep 22, 2016 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Carcajou

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a pair of high-impedance cans that I'll be driving through a Little Dot Mkii. I'm looking for something that's not going to be overly analytical. I was considering the Beyerdynamic DT990 250 or 600, but I'm scared they're going to be too much on the bright side. I heard Sennheiser hd600 and 650 are very neutral. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of stores where I live with a decent selection of headphones where I could give them a try.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 6
Btw I was also considering the K/Q701 even though they're not high impedance per se. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 6
I wouldn't consider the HD650 overly analytical, especially not when run with a tube amp

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Why are you looking for something high impedance? Just curious as usually people aren't looking specifically for high impedance headphones. Also do you have any semblance of a budget or are you throwing money in the wind? XD

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Sep 22, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 6
Why are you looking for something high impedance? Just curious as usually people aren't looking specifically for high impedance headphones. Also do you have any semblance of a budget or are you throwing money in the wind? XD

Great question. I already have a pair of low-impedance headphones which I really like (B&W P7). I often hear that high-impedance headphones and tube amps are a great match and I'm curious to experience the difference. Finally, I often feel that my P7 get rapidly overpowered by my amp, so I'd like a pair of cans that'll allow me to push a bit more juice trough them. 

Hahaa, good point, I do have a budget in mind. The HD650s would be on the upper bracket so I guess about $400-450$ tops.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back