Non-OS DAC with balanced HP amp?
Apr 12, 2008 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

djembeplay

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

First post here. I've been lurking around quite intensively for the past week researching headpho... I mean, Cans. After reading something around 1,000,000 opinions between the HD650, K701, GS1K, etc... I think I'm going to give the K701's a shot.

Now, I've been a frequent poster over on Audiogon, so I'm not a complete newb, but much more-so with headphones. I was completely set on exactly what speaker-rig I wanted... but lately I came to start thinking that I actually do most of my listening with headphones... especially while I work (video editor / CG artist). Also, I wouldn't be able to afford my ideal speaker system for probobly another few ice-ages, so I'm pretty excited about having come to the realization that I would rather invest in a quality headphone system.

Ya, so I'm coming from a pair of Bose Triports which I've used for a couple years now straight out of my PC 1/8" connector. When I bought them I was blown away by the sound quality... but, mind you, that was before I started getting into true hi-fi... and before I started reading posts on hi-fi forums making fun of bose as much as possible. I'm not sure how inferior their sound really is compared to the phones you guys are into... I mean, they sound alot better than the bose speakers I have heard. They are actually extremely comfortable as well (to me, at least).

They have served me well, but... time to move on. Even though I was never really rough and took good care of them, I think they are made of cheap/thin plastic, so now they are broken in three places from using them so much and are composed of about 50% duct tape/ masking tape and 50% original plastic.

Ya ya, enough about Bose... anyways, the whole point of my posting is about what amp I should pair with the 701's. I have researched it... today I think I have been on this site for about 9 hours looking through posts, lol... But I haven't found anything pertaining specifically to what I have in mind.

Over on Audiogon, I heard running a Balanced set-up yields not much, if any improvement and is super pricey by comparison. Yet, here I have heard people say phones (701s in particular) benefit greatly.

Now, I'm also in need of a DAC. I only need a non-OS dac as I only listen to 44khz, 16bit FLACs from my computer. Based on my research, a good non-OS DAC will sound better than an OS DAC with 16bit files as there is quite a bit of unnecessary data interpolation that occurs in the oversampling process. Add this to the fact that a non-OS DAC will be much cheaper than an OS DAC of equivalent quality, and this seems more beneficial to me.

So... I would like to keep things simple and not have to pick up a seperate DAC that outputs a balanced signal and buy the additional interconnects to do that. Are there any balanced headphone amps with a non-OS DAC built in? That would be ideal...

As long as we are on the topic, what are some good options for amps with built-in DACS... regardless of balanced or unbalanced, OS or non-OS?

I read the thread about that Glow audio amp... that looked interesting with the exception of a huge hole in the information about the DAC section.

What about the Benchmark DAC1... can headphones be hooked up to it's XLR outs?

Lastly, does anyone know how good the headphone amp is in the Peachtree Audio Decco? I know that has an amazing non-OS DAC in it as I have researched and wanted that unit for a while.

I'm actually not even sure what the pluses and minuses are of using a balanced signal and if it is worth the price jump...

Anywho, it's nice to find this community... seems like a pretty cool place. I appreciate any input you guys may be able to serve up here.

Thanks-

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 9
Depending where you live, you might want to audition the X-CANv8. There is very little information on Head-Fi about it at the moment, but it's probably the first thing I would consider in your situation.

These should be appearing in local Finnish shops soon (if they aren't in stock already), so I actually plan to check this new product out for myself in the not-so-distant future.

So, of course I'm not suggesting that you buy one without hearing it with your K701, but rather that you should try to audition one to see what you think first.

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Cool, I'm going to go check that out right now, actually... man, that was a super-quick reply... craaaaaaazzzyyyy.

I came back real quick because I forgot to add to my original post that I am only interested in a USB DAC... I have to need for coax or optical... or majic jeringa light wave connection or anything else... just USB for me (for now at least).

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 9
Ya man, that thing looks pretty perfect for what I'm looking for... thanks a bunch for the tip.

I've heard of Musical Fidelity too I think.. they make nice stuff, no?

It doesn't have balanced, but this is sort of an after-thought for me anyways as, again, I have been under the impression that the benefits are fleetingly minute... I mean, I've done recordings with a Russian Octava mic to an uncompressed file and it wasn't exactly like I was seeing rainbows for the first time... but thats quite a different scenario than feeding a headphone rig I suppose.

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 9
The specs look very interesting. 1.3 Watts per channel into 32 Ohms makes me wonder what it can do for my Grado SR-225, and it's supposedly powerful enough to drive the K1000. The K701 is known to be quite finicky with amplification, but this amp should certainly be capable of driving the willies out of them. Fortunately, most of the dealers in Finland who carry Musical Fidelity products also sell the full range of AKG headphones, so an audition should not be difficult to arrange.

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 9
I wonder how the Peachtree Audio Decco's headphone section is...

They say in their all-to-vague description that "If you’re a headphone lover, the Decco has a superb headphone section that mutes the speakers when headphones are plugged in"... that's it. But if it is nice... that could be a good option. I know that the DAC alone in that thing it a Scott Nixon design and sell's stand-alone for about $750... so a total retail of $800 with a tube pre-amp and a nice A/B 50wpc amp is a bargain... if only we knew how the headphone section really was...

Apr 13, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #9 of 9
Alright... I suppose I will attempt to revive this thread...

I have been hearing more and more that people are amazed by how good balanced is vs. unbalanced.

I found a used pair of K701's with about 150 hours on them and rewired with cardas XLR cables for $350 (is this a good deal?).

I am REAALLLY pushing it if I swing the money to pick up an Apogee Mini-DAC to tap directly into the XLR line-outs. But... I would do it.

A few questions come to mind:

1. I have no way to test this equipment... would it be more beneficial for me to buy a used pair of rewired SE k701's and buy an actual SE HP amp in the same price range as the Apogee (such as, say, Xcan v8 or a parasidea or Scott Nixon USB DAC paired with a Darkvoice or Woo)? And by beneficial, I mean... would it sound better...

2. Am I risking damage to my headphones and/or ears somehow by running straight out of Apogee's XLR line-outs?

3. Are my only options for a dac/HP amp with XLR outputs under $1500 the Apogee Mini-DAC, Headroom Balanced Desktop, and Benchmark DAC-1? No more?

4. Will somebody please come make me some eggs and toast w/jam because I am starving and I hate to cook. Also, a ricecake with creamcheese on it is really delicious... And milk, please.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back