Non-music options for audiophile source material? High quality ASMR recordings?
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Foldedpencil

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I just got a pair of W4R and am really enjoying them.  I am into electronic, IDM, and ambient music, but I find myself drawn to content with very interesting sounds and  textures since getting the new EIMs.  There are especially a couple of Squarepusher songs with effects that send a shiver down my spine.  I was wondering if there was anything out there to listen to that was just this kind of stuff, without a music focus.  Since I like ambient music so much, is there such thing as just "ambient sound" to tickle my ears?

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 11
I believe ASMR is exactly what you're looking for; coincidentally I just found out about it today.

Basically it's a physical sensation caused by certain repetitive sounds (whispering, typewriters, etc.). I've never experienced it, but apparently some people get "full head orgasms" when they hear their triggers.

Check out /r/asmr.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 11
Have you tried listening to any post rock? or actually if you want something less musical, check out Bass Communion. something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=175WG9gX2_c

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 11
This may be totally crazy, but do you listen to any string quartets? I love how a great pair of iems or over ears reproduce string quartets. It's definitely not ambient, but gives so much for the ears to feed on. Yeah, they're musical, but not always in a simple way. 

But...you should definitely pick up some Sigur Ros! Incredible to listen and kind of ambient.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Have you tried listening to any post rock? or actually if you want something less musical, check out Bass Communion.

Thanks for your suggestions.  Yes rhead, I do listen to some post-rock like God Speed and Explosions in the Sky.  Haven't listened to Bass Communion, but that song sounds interesting. But What I am looking for is something with a lot of texture.  Here are the two songs that got me thinking about this. 

The firework burning sound in the beginning of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgx7gzfCM5I
And the squishy melody in this song (it gets better in the middle): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zctNbli5JD4

Quote:
I believe ASMR is exactly what you're looking for;

I had heard of this before from an episode of Radiolab, but had not considered it.  This is interesting...  I wonder if there is anything more "audio" tailored, rather than just a bunch of static filled youtube clips.  You would think that if it was all about the ears, someone would be doing this in a controlled environment with quality equipment.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 11
I get ASMR from many of Steve Reich's compositions. I don't know if this could be within the scope of what you're looking for?

Also, Doc and Lena Selyanina has done some deeply relaxing stuff. I know they released some in Hi-res (24bit/88.2kHz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back