Non-leaking over-ear bassy headphone advice; preferably with in cable volume & mic
Apr 5, 2012 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gilimanjaro

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I've just recently become interested in getting a proper pair of headphones after hearing how much of a difference a good set can make. But I'm a bit overwhelmed by how much options there are.

My criteria are:
- non-leaking, because I like it loud, but my coworkers don't (apparently)
- over-ear, because I like the isolation level it brings, and in-ear buds get uncomfortable for me after a while
- closed, due to non-leaking
- bass-rich, as the musical genres I like loud thrive on bass (techno dubsteppy stuff to which I work well)
- in-cable mic & volume, as I'll also be using them with my iPhone & iPad when traveling (probably amped with a Fiio E6)

What I've tried so far:
- simple Logitech on-ear usb headset; doesn't work with iDevices, way too leaky, no bass
- beats by dr Dre Studio; liked the bass, but leaks way too much, and doesn't come with volume control. overpriced; glad I could return them
- apple in-ear buds; bass isn't too my liking, and earbuds get annoying after a while

Any recommendations? It's hard to find hard data on leakiness, but it's one of my prime requirements. Any personal experiences?

Thanks, G.

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
sony xb series?

Ow wow!

How come I never read about those?!

I'll definitely go give the MDR-XB700 a shot.

I'm starting to give up on the in-cable volume-control & mic stuff I guess; it just limits the selection too much. Though I suppose any cans with a detachable cable could use any other cable that has the controls?

Thanks for the XB tip though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back