non leakers
Dec 17, 2007 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shima

New Head-Fier
I'm after headphones that don't leak too much. I don't have a seperate listening room so would be sitting maybe 1-2m from my girlfriend while she watches tv. I was heading toward some open phones before this reality dawned on me. I'm wondering..
Are there open phones with minimal leakage that would work in this situation?
OR
Can you recommend some closed phones with a reasonable soundstage and a transparent to warm sound.

These will be used primarily for broad music listening (blues, hip hop, acoustic, electronic, reggae, jazz). They will be used for home use only, just limited by the listening environment.

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 10
It's going to cost you some. Just a note, my grado sr60 (open) leak like crazy. The sound comes out the back end (the back caps are just plastic mesh).
Maybe you'll want some semi-open phones.

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 10
comfort is also a factor. I have some cheap ass sennheiser's at the moment and they clamp my skull a bit too hard. It'd be nice to wear something that i wasn't so aware of.
cheers

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 10
yeah cheers
Was thinking of geting a dedicated amp to go with a pair of open phones (maybe HD 650s or some audio technica but now this is out of the question (until i move), am looking at some that can be run from my headphone jack on my receiver instead i guess.
I'm assuming headphones and dedicated amp can't be bought the cash i have available anyway?
frown.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you just driving them from your portable? If so, you may want to put some of that into a good amp b/c a lot of the high-end need one. Otherwise, AKG K701?

AKG K701 leaks like a sieve

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 10
I can play my Headphile.com Darth Beyers pretty loud and there is NO sound leakage at all. They're in your price and music range too.

If a nice under $1,000 Ultrasone Edition 9 was presented to me, I'd probably sell my Darth Beyer to help pay for the Ed9...

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #10 of 10
To become more earthly: The AKG K271 seals like hell and sounds indeed very nice. Wouldn't say that you need to spend 400$.

"High res" closed fons such as the AT W5K and other AT woodies don't leak as well, but almost don't isolate at all. That won't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back