Non-isolating, comfortable earphone?
Dec 27, 2008 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lukealexander

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently have three "set-ups"; my casual one being PX100s connected directly to the line-out on my laptop. I use this for watching TV shows, background music, lying in bed etc.

It is almost exclusively used at home, where isolation is a negative attribute. Unfortunately the PX100s hurt my head after a while, and the jack is damaged.

My requirements:
  1. Non-isolating - I must be able to hear ringing phones, door-bells and the like
  2. Comfortable - be able to wear them for hours, lie down, or prop my head on my hand
  3. Right angled jack - my laptop's line-out is at the front and a right-angled jack would reduce the pressure it receives
  4. Less than £30 - this is for non-critical listening
  5. Be as neutral as possible - I don't like heavy bass

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 6
You could look into one of the yuin earphones at head-direct. pk3 or ok3 should fall into your price range with the holiday discount going on until January 1st.

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 6
I've thought about the Yuins, but they don't look too comfortable?

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 6
I'd imagine their comfort may be hit or miss. personally, I can wear my pk3s without discomfort for hours on end. However, I know some people's ears are very picky with the size and shape of earbuds that they use. I find that the I get a more secure fit when I use the foam pads with pk3. The buds don't fall out very easily, which is a big plus.

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 6
I am considering getting Sony EX85 or Sennheiser MX560 at £31 and £20 respectively. The Yuins seem a bit expensive and there is always the risk of import duty here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back