Non-internal alternative to Asus Xonar Essence ST?
Aug 20, 2014 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Volo

New Head-Fier
A few days ago, I found that sound completely stopped working on my computer. I tried both my ST and my old DG, and so I found that the soundcard cannot be the issue. Then I tried on Ubuntu, and found that software is not why sound has stopped working. So therefore I assume some part of my motherboard has failed, and so internal soundcards will not work now. The drivers would show graphical sound, but nothing would ever reach my headphones. I tried my old HD 598s and they would not work either, so it is not a headphone issue. USB headphones, however, work, because of them using their own hardware for sound. But they obviously are not very good for anything, but it at least narrowed things down.

Is there any form of USB soundcard I could use which would sound at least as good as my ST? I have a budget of about $150. I'm using HiFiMAN HE-400s. I picked up an Asus Xonar U3 today to see if it would work, and it does, but the sound is frankly nowhere near the level of my ST and is very muddy. The lows, mids, highs, everything sounds worse. I probably will return it if I can get something better. Alternatively, I'll take pretty much anything which would work if not a USB soundcard, but I know nothing about DACs/amps or source hardware in general. Ideally I'd like my internal soundcard simply to work, but after trying so much I don't think it ever will. What exactly should I get or do in this situation?

Thanks very much for any help or recommendations!

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 14
Have you checked the BIOS? Do you have integrated audio output on your motherboard that you can try? Can you try a different PCI slot?

Also, if something on your motherboard died, you might be better off replacing that than you would getting an external sound card. You wouldn't want to get an external sound card only to have your motherboard die.

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 14
  There is an entire sub-section of this forum devoted to Computer Audio.  In addition to posting here, you should probably be checking out the discussion there as well.

Thanks, I'll take a look there. Sorry about that if this is the wrong section.

Have you checked the BIOS? Do you have integrated audio output on your motherboard that you can try? Can you try a different PCI slot?

Also, if something on your motherboard died, you might be better off replacing that than you would getting an external sound card. You wouldn't want to get an external sound card only to have your motherboard die.

I've tried onboard as well, and two different PCI slots. I've tried enough I can't even remember it all--numerous different driver versions, for example. But no matter what I try, nothing seems to work.

That's a good point, I might look into that. Such a pain to replace an entire motherboard, though, but I suppose it may at least save long term frustration.

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 14
  A few days ago, I found that sound completely stopped working on my computer. I tried both my ST and my old DG, and so I found that the sound card cannot be the issue. Then I tried on Ubuntu, and found that software is not why sound has stopped working. So therefore I assume some part of my motherboard has failed, and so internal sound cards will not work now. The drivers would show graphical sound, but nothing would ever reach my headphones. I tried my old HD 598s and they would not work either, so it is not a headphone issue. USB headphones, however, work, because of them using their own hardware for sound. But they obviously are not very good for anything, but it at least narrowed things down.

Is there any form of USB sound card I could use which would sound at least as good as my ST? I have a budget of about $150. I'm using HiFiMAN HE-400s. I picked up an Asus Xonar U3 today to see if it would work, and it does, but the sound is frankly nowhere near the level of my ST and is very muddy. The lows, mids, highs, everything sounds worse. I probably will return it if I can get something better. Alternatively, I'll take pretty much anything which would work if not a USB sound card, but I know nothing about DACs/amps or source hardware in general. Ideally I'd like my internal sound card simply to work, but after trying so much I don't think it ever will. What exactly should I get or do in this situation?

Thanks very much for any help or recommendations!

Have you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.
It might be conflicting with add-on internal sound cards.

External USB headphones which come with a built in USB sound card, bypass on-board and internal add-on sound cards, so they would not have conflicts your on-board audio.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 14
I've tried disabling onboard, and much more. I've:
- Made sure Windows is using the right speakers.
- Tried multiple different drivers.
- Tested it on both Windows 8 and Ubuntu.
- Tested multiple headphones.
- Tested my old Xonar DG instead.
- Tested the ST and DG on two different PCI slots.
- Tried my motherboard's onboard sound, without any soundcard in.
- Tried having onboard sound both enabled and disabled with a soundcard in.
and so I am almost 100% sure it's a motherboard issue. However I'm not quite sure and a motherboard is a lot of work to replace, and other than sound it's still working strong. So, I would rather for now just fix my sound, and if the motherboard completely breaks down, worry about that when it happens.

What would be a good $200-350 (including shipping to Canada) DAC/amp combination to drive my HiFiMAN HE-400s? USB input is obviously required from the circumstance. Preferably as good in sound quality as, if not better than, my Xonar Essence ST was. I started looking now, but it's quite intimidating for someone new to them. I started looking on my own right now, but most I see either is about $200 or $400 and not much around $300. The Schiit Magni/Modi stack is apparently quite good for HE-400s around this price range from what I am finding searching these forums, for example, but I could afford to go about $100 more than it if it makes a noticeable difference (the Schiit combo amounts to about $240 with shipping). Of course, not that I want to spend more money for the sake of it if they suffice...

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 14
I read that you have tried the card in multiple PCI slots.
Have you tried any other card in those slots? If you don't have a card available buy an old 5-10$ network card to test the slots.

Can you see the card in the device manager? Can you see the onboard sound card in the device manager if it is enabled?

Have you tried the headset with another device? Just to rule out a defect there...
Right now my money is on a broken cable on the HE400s.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 14
I thought he said that he tried another pair of speakers or something.

If you want a cheap amp and DAC for the HE-400, I think Magni and Modi are solid choices. Magni will have plenty of power. It would probably be nicer to use your sound card's optical port into an optical Modi (to keep the sound processing), but the USB version should be pretty good, and I think there are some free programs you can try to get some of that sound processing back.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 14
Oh right, I missed the "old HD 598s". I would still test either pair of headphones with a different source (phone, mp3 player, stereo...), just to be sure.
Way easier than any of the other steps needed to troubleshoot this.

If it really is the motherboard I would consider replacing that. Much cheaper than an external setup, and who knows what other problems are waiting around the corner with a broken mainboard.
If my mainboard started acting up I would be much more worried about data integrity than about sound...

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 14
If it really is the motherboard I would consider replacing that. Much cheaper than an external setup, and who knows what other problems are waiting around the corner with a broken mainboard.
If my mainboard started acting up I would be much more worried about data integrity than about sound...
Yup. That's why this was my first suggestion. Your CPU gets power from the motherboard...if you lose power on a drive, your data might be lost...if the rest of the PCI slots go, your graphics card won't work...

I understand the pain of replacing a motherboard, but I would rather you get annoyed with that than have to replace everything.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 14
What would be a good $200-350 (including shipping to Canada) DAC/amp combination to drive my HiFiMAN HE-400s? USB input is obviously required from the circumstance. Preferably as good in sound quality as, if not better than, my Xonar Essence ST was. I started looking now, but it's quite intimidating for someone new to them. I started looking on my own right now, but most I see either is about $200 or $400 and not much around $300. The Schiit Magni/Modi stack is apparently quite good for HE-400s around this price range from what I am finding searching these forums, for example, but I could afford to go about $100 more than it if it makes a noticeable difference (the Schiit combo amounts to about $240 with shipping). Of course, not that I want to spend more money for the sake of it if they suffice...

The ODAC and O2 are an excellent dac/amp combo--better than the ST/STX IMO. Audio Poutine in Canada sells them: https://www.facebook.com/AudioPoutine

Then if you could use pre-amp outs for speakers, the Audio-GD NFB-15 is really nice. More powerful than the Schiit Magni or O2 amps.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 14
Thank you all very much for the help so far! It's very appreciated and I don't know what I'd be considering right now without the replies here.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
  I read that you have tried the card in multiple PCI slots.
Have you tried any other card in those slots? If you don't have a card available buy an old 5-10$ network card to test the slots.

Can you see the card in the device manager? Can you see the onboard sound card in the device manager if it is enabled?

Have you tried the headset with another device? Just to rule out a defect there...
Right now my money is on a broken cable on the HE400s.

I actually am already using a network card--the onboard network card pathetically broke a couple years ago not long after building my computer. I've sure learned my lesson about a budget motherboard!

The card shows in the device manager, and the graphic equaliser in its driver settings can even show activity. But no sound ever reaches my headphones.

I've tried both my 598s and HE-400s. So I am certain it is not the headphones.

I thought he said that he tried another pair of speakers or something.

If you want a cheap amp and DAC for the HE-400, I think Magni and Modi are solid choices. Magni will have plenty of power. It would probably be nicer to use your sound card's optical port into an optical Modi (to keep the sound processing), but the USB version should be pretty good, and I think there are some free programs you can try to get some of that sound processing back.

So they would be good, but not quite as good as the ST in sound processing without a free program that can simulate some of that, if I understand right? The more I look into things, the harder it is to pick anything. I wish I could just hear everything for myself before any purchases. Though I do not think I used many of the audio processing options with my ST, other than Dolby Headphone which I thought made everything sound much better and less boring, and stuff like equalisation I never touched.
The ODAC and O2 are an excellent dac/amp combo--better than the ST/STX IMO. Audio Poutine in Canada sells them: https://www.facebook.com/AudioPoutine

Then if you could use pre-amp outs for speakers, the Audio-GD NFB-15 is really nice. More powerful than the Schiit Magni or O2 amps.

Is there any way to contact Audio Poutine regarding a purchase other than by Facebook? I do not really use social media, just never had a use for it.

Forgive me ignorance, I tried searching quickly but couldn't find an easy answer. Is a pre-amp such as that basically the same thing as a regular amp? The page says it's a "DAC + headphone amplifier / preamplifier" which seems to suggest it's all-in-one, and that I'm overthinking this and it's just a DAC/amp. I like to think I know more about audio than most people, but it's so easy to feel like I know nothing at all on a site like this with how much more knowledgeable people are.

Oh right, I missed the "old HD 598s". I would still test either pair of headphones with a different source (phone, mp3 player, stereo...), just to be sure.
Way easier than any of the other steps needed to troubleshoot this.

I'm running a USB sound card right now (which just sounds depressing compared to my ST, and makes me want something better faster and faster...) , so that is another source, isn't it? It works fine, as does testing just now my MP3 player.

And for my motherboard:
Yup. That's why this was my first suggestion. Your CPU gets power from the motherboard...if you lose power on a drive, your data might be lost...if the rest of the PCI slots go, your graphics card won't work...

I understand the pain of replacing a motherboard, but I would rather you get annoyed with that than have to replace everything.

I really appreciate the concern. But in a way I am not too worried about my motherboard. Most of my important data is all on an external drive and not my internal ones, and if my motherboard broke down, it might motivate me to actually save and get a new motherboard and CPU with it. Plus, from my understanding, if the rest of the PCI slots failed then the graphics card itself would be fine, just not read by my motherboard. (Likewise, my sound card right now is itself probably fine, but not being read by my motherboard.) Though I am confident it should push on for a while longer, but then I was confident my sound card would last too...

In the long term, I've been planning a cross continental move and traveling for a while where I'll likely rely on a laptop more than a desktop, and a USB DAC/Amp would help me not go insane if I ever have a moment I'm not doing anything, because I'd at least have my audiophile equipment. And it seems like something I can always rely on more so than a motherboard or sound card.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #13 of 14
Sound cards basically give you three things: sound processing ability, digital-to-analog converion (DAC) components, and amplification components.

All a standalone DAC does is convert digital signals into analog ones, and all a standalone amp does is amplify said signals to audible levels.

Many people use external DACs and amps with sound cards because they get even better isolation from noise (which is generated by digital components switching at high speeds). They keep the sound cards for the processing abilities, which includes virtual positioning/3D sound effects. You can simulate this in software, but a discrete sound card might be better.

Sound processing probably isn't necessary for music, but PC gamers want it, especially in competitive gaming. I only brought this up because you already had a sound card, and it kind of sucks that you're being forced to move to USB, which bypasses your sound card completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back